Author Topic: Wrecking TY250D. Sold.  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Wrecking TY250D. Sold.
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:43:10 pm »
SOLD SOLD SOLD
I've got two, and am making one out of the two.

Basically, what's available is a running rideable bike missing a seat, airbox, bash plate and rear guard.

Motor starts easily, runs OK, clutch is stuck, rattles on heavy decel.
Frame with matching number.
Good wheels.
Dented alloy tank. Not rooted.
Forks with good chrome (minor rust on between triples on one leg), but desperately in need of seals and springs.
Seat base (pretty good, not great).
Ag bike bars(?!?).

Pics when I remember.

$350 takes the lot, will seperate.

In Yass, southern NSW.

Nathan. 04000 23847

Sold sold sold.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:14:34 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
Re: Wrecking TY250D.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 07:17:42 am »
Do you know how much the D has in common with the A Nathan ?
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:02:33 am »
PM sent Nathan.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:31:21 am »
At this point, I've got two people saying "I'll take it", so I think it's sold.
I will update if this changes.

Tex, no headlight, sorry.

Do you know how much the D has in common with the A Nathan ?

I'm far from an expert, but the main differences seem to be:
Colour  ::)
Seat
Airbox.

Happy to be corrected.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 09:46:48 am »
No worries - sounds like it will make a great project for somebody.

I'm after a front brake backing plate and an airbox for a TY250A

Hopefully whoever buys it posts some piccies of the resto

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 04:49:39 pm »

TY250 I have a brand new front backing Plate if you cant get one  Nathan if you shift all your stuff let me
       know ..

The Stig...

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 07:06:43 pm »
Tony, very easy to get A model airboxes off US ebay, must have sold thousands of the things. C & D models never seem to come up over there & very seldom show up elsewhere. My C model has a hand build aluminium airbox because I haven't managed to find 1 yet
Brakes & wheels are common to all TY175s & 250s so you'll be able get 1 fairly easily
General shape of the outer cases is different on the A & B models to the later models, the early bikes have quite bulbous aluminium clutch & ignition covers where the later bikes use quite a bit narrower magnesium parts, gaskets are the same for both.
Feetupfun will be able to fill you in on all the differences between the early bikes & the later models but generally most parts are interchangable

HeavenVMX

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 07:23:44 pm »
The 'A' model was the only one with the larger more rounded clutch and ignition covers. B, C D and E all used the same covers. A & B used same air box C, D, E used a more restrictive but much more water proof air box. C, D, E used a seat without the cowl and also had full length rear guard. Carbie on E, D & E had different jetting than B while A model used another brand of carbie altogether (non mikuni).

The A model is very collectable but not as good to ride as the later models. Wide engine and carbie parts are hard to get (almost impossible mostly now replaced with later Mikuni).

The original A model plactic/fibre glass sump guard are as rare as rocking horse poop and nowhere near as useful.

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 09:38:24 pm »
As Heaven VMX said just about everything is interchangable between A, B and C/D/E, but that doesn't mean they are the same. The A model motor has a different clutch, cylinder and conrod to the later models, but any inner cases will all fit any model frame and any cylinder will fit any bottom end.
The A model has different fork sliders and damper rods to the later models but again they all will fit any model TY250
The A and B frames are a bit different in that the A has the stand mount on the main frame while the B and later stands are on the swingarm
The A and B swingarms have light gusseting on the pivot tube, later ones much more substantial gusseting.
The CDE frames have tabs for the seat screws, the AB frames use the threads on the inner ends of the top shock mounts for the seat/shroud screws
The main bits that catch people out when buying parts are clutch plates, seats and rear guards.
The later seat and rear guard can be fitted to the A and B models if you add the frame tabs, and vice versa, but the seats alone are not interchangable. You either have an AB seat on the fibreglass surround, or the CDE seat with the long guard and no surround.
Neither seat will fit a TY175 and a TY175 seat will not fit either type of TY250
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 07:17:37 am »
Wow - this site never ceases to amaze me as to the knowledge on Tap.  I had a closer look the photos of the "bike" my old man picked up for me and it turns out the air box is still with it.

I'm looking forward to getting into this resto as it is a bike I can ride around the yard al;l week-end without pissing off the neighbours.  Planning on stting up a few obstacles for a bit of fun  8)

The bash plate I have on my "bike" is aluminium - maybe retro fitted.  Looking at the photos I have the bike seems very honest and unmolested.

It was a genuine barn find.  A few pices robbed off it like the head, exhaust and carb, but generally all there.  When my old man picked it up he he said "you realise it's just a collection of parts, right ?".  No imagination  ;D ;D

I will keep you in mind for the backing plate Stig.  I need the one with the speedo drive socket as I managed to find a speedo.

Looking for a good tank too.  Apparently the A is different to all the rest.

Sorry for the thread Hijack NAthan  ::)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:17:58 am by YZ250H »

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 09:02:36 am »
The BCDE tank will fit on the A model
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 09:04:13 am »
I will have some parts for you Tony when it arrives. See you at CD.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 09:31:20 am »
Cool John, I will hunt you down and shout you a beer  8)
Can't wait for CD10