Author Topic: BP SUNRAYSIA DESERT RALLY: 126 page book for sale ...  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
BP SUNRAYSIA DESERT RALLY: 126 page book for sale ...
« on: April 29, 2014, 06:35:35 pm »
Hi All,
I have 20 copies of BP Rally's history for sale.  It's A3, grayscale, 129 pages, largely
pictorial - and covers 1971 (first event) up to 1977.
The book is on Don Gibb's original concept race - it is not about the Mallee Rally.  Has about four pages
on Mallee Rally, and about four pages on Don's political split-off rally of 1974 and 75 at Gol Gol.

Cost:
$65 including postage

To get one, please email me direct on:

[email protected]

or mobile:  0404 620 230
With thanks
---------

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: BP SUNRAYSIA DESERT RALLY: 126 page book for sale ...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:06:46 pm »
Fingers X'd you've got one for me, Rog!
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline Spanish Armada

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:24:30 pm »
Yes he will have buy it like everyone else ::)

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:24:10 pm »
Does anyone know Roger Horne please?  He contacted me,
but I couldn't capture his mobile number ...

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 01:08:06 pm »
I have two books left ... if anyone wants one ... please email:

[email protected]

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 05:28:24 pm »
I rode in the '77 event, I'd just got my learners permit and rode my TS185B, with a mate on a DT400F, to the event from Frankston (8 hours ride) after work on the Friday to compete.

We stopped on the side of the road at Birchip to have a sleep, we had no camping gear, we just lay down.  It got so cold during the night we thought we'd light a fire, so with a petrol soaked rag, and a spark from the B8ES plug out of the TS, we lit a fire (and the rubber strips down the fingers of the old mx gloves lol.

I was asleep next to the fire and my mate threw an arm-full of dry leaves on the fire, which the light wind blew all over me, I awoke engulfed in flames, shit myself!

Got to the event on Sat morning, me riding the 200 trailbike class (with trail tyres).  Got underway ok, everyone saying "careful on the salt-flats, if you're too lean on the needle she will seize as you back-off", so I am extremely concerned about it.

My first time across the salt-flats, as I back off the bike starts to slow very quickly, I think "oh shit I've seized it!" Upon dismounting I find the taillight had dropped off the rear mudguard and the wiring loom was wrapped around the back axle and was pulling all the wiring loom out of the bike.  So after ripping the light off I'm back on the gas.

After the 3rd loop (we did four 100km loops, bikes did two then swapped with the buggies) I was running 2nd in class but get a puncture on the last loop, riding with a flat trail tyre is not a nice experience as the tyre as no carcus stiffness, so after riding totally out of control for the rest of the last loop, I finish 10th in class.

Had to find someone from Frankston to take me and my wrecked bike home, by the time I got home, climbed out of the back seat of the HK Monaro I was so wasted I didn't really want to do another Hattah  :-)

Just thought I'd share that with ya  ;-)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:59:16 pm by John Orchard »
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 05:47:21 pm »
Good yarn John. Where did we get the energy to do stuff like that. J