Author Topic: Removing fork Oil Seals  (Read 6952 times)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Removing fork Oil Seals
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 07:39:08 pm »
Sorry for the thread hijack this is it has three blade bits you tighten in then just screw down the handle, if you are coming to Castella I can bring it for you to use there, thanks Michael.

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 08:14:04 pm »
I love a good yarn about specialty tools, home made or bought. There is nothing like the right tool for the job and I have made a few rippers over the years.

On the subject of fork seals, you can also fill the tube with any old clean light oil you may have and then use a press to hydraulically remove the seals if they are real stubborn - no prying involved. Place a suitable socket over the top cap and compress the fork. If they are going to go easy sometimes a good shock with a very large hammer on top and piece of soft timber under the lower slider to protect the job.

I like the old oil seal as a driver trick Frosty, It never occured to me to do that. You learn something new everyday!
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 08:28:17 pm »
suzuki make the best fork seal remover i have one at work could get the part number tomoro if you want it  they are still available

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 10:37:43 pm »
I learnt that from some one else can't remember who but it works well and because it is cut in half you can't get it stuck just spin it around and tap until it is seated but always make sure you protect your tube I usually use a few news paper pages wrapped around the tube just to be sure I don't damage them.

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 07:06:29 am »
its the top bearing that wont let go and I cant get the assembly out of the headstem. ive got 1 of those bottom bearing removers although mines a Makita and it does10,000 rpm ;D

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 08:38:49 am »
its the top bearing that wont let go and I cant get the assembly out of the headstem. ive got 1 of those bottom bearing removers although mines a Makita and it does10,000 rpm ;D

John, seeing as you're a fan of "high powered removal tools", you can get the top bearing race out with a die grinder or a Dremel with a heavy duty cutting disc on it. I have had to resort to the die grinder before. Put the pointiest carbide bit you have on and carefully "cut" a couple of gouges into the race on opposite sides. This should be enough for there to be some give in the race when you hit it with your drift. If not, cut some more. I have had to cut all the way through the race on one bike frame. After hours of trying to free the friggin thing, 15 minutes with the die grinder and it just fell out  ;)
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Bondi Rabbit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 09:14:13 am »
Thanks for the advice, I like the look of those tools as I have another project to start in December that needs fork seals. I thought a tool may exist. Will try the acetone for the second one thanks for the information

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 06:52:16 pm »
im going to weld a sleeve to the inner race and a large "tee" handle on top. if the welding doesn't sort it,  a whack with a big hammer should.

I gave it 20 minutes with a heat gun to no effect (stinky cooked old grease!)

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 07:16:54 pm »
the suzuki fork seal removing tool is 09913-50121

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 07:19:11 pm »
Hi Cr and Rms, whats the chance of getting some happy snaps of it tomorrow?
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 08:19:06 pm »
i will take some at work tomoro and post them tomoro nite

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 11:05:00 am »
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."