Author Topic: are points allowed on pre 70 TS250?  (Read 1306 times)

Doc

are points allowed on pre 70 TS250?
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:17:13 pm »
can I run CDI on a '69 TS250 in the pre'70 class?

in the good book it states for TS250, points ignition and appropriate engine cases. Does this mean I have to use points because I'd rather use TM250 CDI and keep this setup below for the F11.  :-\

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: are points allowed on pre 70 TS250?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »
My understanding is that if you want to race a TS250 as a pre-70 bike, then it must be the model that originally came with points. But you can change the ignition to CDI, provided you meet the appearance guidelines.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:03:29 pm »
in the good book it states for TS250, points ignition and appropriate engine cases.   :-\

That would be for describing the year / model TS

18.6.0.5 states any ignition that fits & doesn't change outside appearance.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:19:04 pm »
GMC is totally correct Doc. You may run points,magneto glow plug, hot bulb* or 2009 model digital plasma nuclear etc ignition system if you want in ANY class as long as it does not change the original external look. (on the Kawasaki W1 650 I have, the Boyer electronic is hidden inside the vacant Magneto ,where else....) The veteran/vintage classes in Road racing are very good at hiding their ultra modern but very legal electronics. Tim

* Hot bulb had that on my old Lanz bulldog single cylinder tractor, you heated an external knob on the bulb with a blow torch ,this transfered the heat to help the cold motor start. Once heated till glowing bright red place explosive cartridge in starting slot close and seek ear protection, press trigger. the resulting rapid expansion of gasses would ...hopefully turn the massive flywheels over in the correct direction as yes it could start up backwards ... enough to have the....14.5 litre single  :o start and then run as a diesel. Normal operation of tractor 520 rpm... and did it vibrate!!!!!! ::) 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 10:32:41 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.