Author Topic: Tubes  (Read 4438 times)

Offline MaxPower

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Tubes
« on: March 02, 2014, 03:40:33 AM »
Im about to get tubes for my 83 KX125. Ive come to realize even as slow as I am, weight makes a huge differnece on a dirt bike especially rotating wheel weight.
What tubes are you running? Should I get standard or heavy duty? I will ride mostly soft terrain but wil also be a Unadilla in June. I guess there is had got to be .5kg between a standard and heavy duty tube.

Offline kenny5000

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Tubes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 06:17:24 AM »
In my opinion, standard tubes are not worth a pinch of sh#t! Nothing worse than getting a flat when your mid ride whether it be on the track or trail riding. I personally use Michelin ultra heavy duty (they are really thick), I have punished them on my modern KTM to the extent that I have put dents in the rims with no flats and they are easy to change tyres without pinching and last a long time, no issue on the vintage bikes either but I'm not running them as hard! They are heavier but to me, I would rather have faith in the fact that it's going to be hard to ge a flat as opposed to extra rotating mass that will hardly notice. There is also the Tubliss system as an option, I know a few that use it who like it.

http://www.ballards.cc/tubliss-tyre-kit/

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:03:35 AM »
I'm with Kenny. Ultra heavy.

Unfortunately you will get varying opinions on this. All you have to ask yourself is:

Do I enjoy pushing my bike back to the pits?

Do I enjoy fixing flats on the trail?

Do I enjoy holding my mates up ?

Should I increase the likely hood of getting a puncture ten fold?

Truly, the weight difference is equal to a LITTLE bit of mud under the guard. Do you notice that?
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 09:09:12 AM »
Warning hijack  :o

Speaking of tubes what have people found to be a decent hand/foot pump? I am sick of the SCA ones crapping out after a few months. Handle pulls out of the cylinder, valve attachment blows off, foot pedal twists crazily etc. Can anyone recommend a decent quality pump?

Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:55:21 AM »
I reckon these type of pumps are the go PEZBerg

Any push bike shop sells them. This one is many moons old.
They have a reversible presta/scrader connection for very high pressure tour-de-france pushy types,,,,
So our low pressures applications are a walk in the park.

Two things if you want it to see you out,,
  -make sure it has a steel pump tube(barrel), not plastic.
  -make sure it has a screw on reversible valve stem fitting, last for ever.

If you buy the clip-on type of stem fitting, You will need spare rubber seals with it.
Get the screw-on type fitting ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:51:18 AM by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 10:14:28 AM »
Heavy duty is the go.
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »
Thanks Mick. Just what I have been looking for. This forum comes up with the goods yet again  ;D Ask and you will usually get a great answer for sure! Long may it continue.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »
The only issue I have had with ultra heavy duty tubes (Michelin) is creep ! No matter what I do the front tube will creep under braking and move the valve stem. The tube is fitted to my KLX250, let's just say the braking power is marginal !!! I run std heavy duty in the Husky 390WR and the CCM without issues. I would be tempted to run std heavy duty with a bottle of Slime. I have not had a puncture for years using this.
I only tried the ultra heavy tube in the KLX as it has no power to lift the wheel over logs/rocks etc ! and so takes a hammering.

A 125 will run light on the front anyway.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline kenny5000

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 10:44:14 AM »
My 2012 KTM has arguablty some of the best front brakes around and I don't get creep, I use a standard rimlock with no issues.. Slime may help if you get this, maybe some new rimlocks are needed???

As for the pump I have a similar one to this, really good!

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/TPPUFN8J2/title/topeak-joe-blow-sport-ii-floor-pump

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »
I run Tubliss in my bike ! Very happy with it. Also lighter than tubes.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 10:55:57 PM »
I always fit new rim locks every time I change a tyre. The new Metzler six days has been on for 6 months.

I feel a "plan B" coming on  ;)
Thumpers Rule !

Offline MaxPower

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »
I'm glad I got distracted yesterday and didn't order my tubes. I came a few clicks away to buying standard lighter tubes.  My reasoning is that I had not realized what a difference rotating weight made until I raced road bicycles. I could tell a difference in between tires or the difference between a 36 and 32 spoke rim . So this being a 125 and me an old man weighing more than a 125 was designed for, that I would try to build towards leaving off the most unsprung weight as I could.  However flatting and not finishing is the worst and not worth any amount of lost unsprung weight.

I like the idea of the Tubliss tire tubeps. I have spent way too much on this bike and I just don't see me finding the extra money for them.  I very much appreciate appreciate all your replies

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »
Cheats way is to slit an old tube around the inside and slip it over a std tube as an outer cover....use lots of powder to help em slip slide around while assembling. great trick if you get a tube destroying flat out in the sticks and your mates only have a std tube for you to steal!