Author Topic: ID RM airbox  (Read 3143 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
ID RM airbox
« on: February 20, 2014, 05:44:16 pm »
  I have been offered this airbox for my RM500.  Just like to check with you blokes that it is what I am told and it will fit.  Only $40 plus postage so it sounds like a good price if it is right.
                                                                                                       Zane

Mick this might help a bit
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:54:20 pm by FAT-TOY »
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: ID RM airbox
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:17:47 pm »
bit of rod stewart required??  :D, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:29 pm »

This might help

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 09:01:21 pm »
Definitely looks like the one in my 83 rm500.

Have a look here in the parts catalogue but I was working on mine a while ago and that looks identical to mine, thanks Michael.

http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm?q=suzuki-bike-parts
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:45:02 pm »
ONe thing i'd check is that the centre section for 125 250 and 465/500 are same part number, otherwise the box is same as my rm250,465,500, all 3 are the same, just might be that the hole for the carb junction to box might be different,never measured that or swapped bike to bike.

you could also ask them to give you the i.d of the hole, I have measured mine....its..... 61mm and carb is 62mm...38mm original square slide Mikuni and both off RM465Z identical to the box and carb on 500d parked next to it.

Kt.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:52:27 pm by Ktm181 »

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 02:00:41 pm »
Yeah, looks good and the price is right!
Could be off a 250/500 both should work.
125  also have different shaped filter covers from each side and smaller carb boot.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 09:58:03 pm »

Airbox has turned up and is in great condition.  The side coves are drilled, is this something that happened in the factory or is it an improvement made by the previous owner?
                                                                Zane

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 10:09:05 pm »
I think it must have been in magazines etc to do that mine has about 5 across the top.

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 02:20:37 pm »
nothing to do with rod stewart or mags - michael jackson had just released the album driller !!

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 04:15:24 pm »

Airbox has turned up and is in great condition.  The side coves are drilled, is this something that happened in the factory or is it an improvement made by the previous owner?
                                                                Zane

The holes are a home mod Zane.  Not all that effective either, a bit more air, a lot more noise and lest mud/water in a lot easier too.  New outer covers come up now and again on THAT auction site but are pricey, even good used ones run $30-50 each! 

Wayne.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 10:41:18 pm »

Thanks Wayne I thought it might be.  Funny how a lot of these home improvements are not thought out properly and causes more problems then they cure, then there are others who know more than the designers and engineers who actually built them.
    I knew a bloke up here years ago who got in touch with GMH to let them know that they had put wrong timing mark on the 179 holdens, I bet they were suprised to learn that.

Zane

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 08:56:07 am »

Thanks Wayne I thought it might be.  Funny how a lot of these home improvements are not thought out properly and causes more problems then they cure, then there are others who know more than the designers and engineers who actually built them.
    I knew a bloke up here years ago who got in touch with GMH to let them know that they had put wrong timing mark on the 179 holdens, I bet they were suprised to learn that.

Zane

AHH, the 179 Red motor, now that's an engine i can relate too, that and 186 & 253/308, reminds me why i like AIR COOLED engines, SIMPLE, like me!

Cant wait to see your pics of the RM, from what i have seen you have done some nice restos!

Wayne.