Author Topic: circlip life  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: circlip life
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 03:11:50 pm »
Also worth mentioning that circlips are usually stamped out of flat sheet. This makes one side have a slightly chamfered edge, while the other has a nicer/squarer edge.

If its a mission-critical application, then the correct orientation of the circlip can make the difference (DT250 shift shaft when I was 15, for example...).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Stewart Allen

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 04:00:50 pm »
Hey Scrivo, I am sure we could organise some new circlips, I hear there are plenty in China, they'd match your spokes.
CHEERS STEWART

Doing it to old things is fun
# 74 Heaven
IT490 Will be going one day soon
CR125M
SL175 bitza
IT250D needs work
CR250RE Not going as yet
YZ125F

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 05:16:06 pm »
 Some things I know about circlips
 1)  Seegar circlips are crap. they loose there tension ,plus the the ends with the eyelets can break of from vibration. I learnt that from a 250 ccT70 that had them at the gudgeon pin. That thing revved.

I always grind a chamfer on the end of the gudgeon pin for use with wire circlips.

Never use wire circlips with the ends bent 'round for fitting/removal on pistons. They brake off at high revs. On other applications the tags can actually lever the clip out of the groove. The chamfer on the pin wont reach the wire.

On larger circlips in gearboxes, fork legs etc flat circlips should be squeezed by hand across their diameter to tell wich way they dish, so that they can be installed the way that wedges them into the circlip groove.
 Circlip grooves are machined round for wire circlips and square for flat circlips.
When installing flat circlips, look at the way the ends are cut, they are at an angle to assist circlip pliers to grip.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline rtb

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 08:34:38 pm »
Hey Scrivo, been there ( face down in the dirt) and done that before. Yeah those circlips play an important role.