Author Topic: B50MX Ultimate Build  (Read 22602 times)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: B50MX Ultimate Build
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 10:09:50 am »
I've got the PES outrigger plate on mine as well. The BSA unit singles have a problem with the outrigger plate coming loose and the bolts then locking up the clutch. A simple way to cure it is to use some shim metal to build up the circumference of the outrigger flange so that it becomes a press fit into the engine case. I also tapped out the bolt holes to 6mm*1pt and used machine head counter sunk bolts with loctite. Hasn't come loose in 2 seasons  ;D

I've nearly gone for a big flying W when the kickstart lever engaged landing off a small jump...lucky it was a well watered and slippery track so the rear wheel just slid instead of biting to a halt. Who ever designed the lever at BSA got paid too much for their time! I just use the rubber strap method of retaining the lever now but I wouldn't mind a new lever that pivots at the shaft end and doesn't stick into my leg...
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 11:38:22 am »
I've done some drawings of the stock BSA kick lever base and some other bottom-swivel levers I had sitting around to try and come up with a base that would go between the BSA shaft and some readily available OEM Japanese lever (like RD350, etc).  I haven't looked at those for quite a while but I'll dig them out and see if they are far enough along to post if anyone wants to play with them.  I figure making the base out of 4140HT (about 30-32Rc) would give plenty of strength and still be fairly easy to machine.  The base should not be a super-challenging DIY machining job.

In my unit single folder

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/BSAunitsingle/

you'll find an article on a modifed Rickman unit single with a rear-set kick lever:

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/BSAunitsingle/B44Rickman2MC061972.jpg

which would be something to consider.  I think Mike Bungay's Cycle Factory has a modified kick shaft that has splines to match a Japanese lever:

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/BSAunitsingle/BungayB506.jpg

My engine will also get the PES outrigger plate.

cheers,
Michael

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 07:32:39 pm »
Somebody went to the trouble of making a Ti kickstart on my motor, it seems to have no problems with the pivot and feels like its made of plastic when holding it (light) . And having played around cutting threads on Ti round bar, its a a material that's demands to be kept cool! or eat your tools!
Ill be forever grateful to whoever made it!

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 09:27:49 pm »

A Sabiston,  Kaiapoi, Canterbury, NZ, August 1971, 499cc BSA. Followed by Paul Doecke on a 380 CZ.
Paul is still going strong on a CZ250, not an easy rider to finish ahead of even at his advanced age
  No way?  That's amazing!

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 08:01:02 am »
Thanks for the links Micheal. Very helpful.
Cheers,
Mark
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.