Author Topic: Honda Mechanics please?  (Read 2112 times)

Offline DOK

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Honda Mechanics please?
« on: February 21, 2014, 05:15:00 pm »
I started out looking for an XL 500 I could put on the road.
Found a 500rc for a couple of hundred mostly in milk crates with the standard chewed out head and cam.
So I set to work on ebay and put some feelers out.
Came across an engine in Ipswich Qld with a buy it now of $270 I'm in Enfield Sydney cant pass it so plan a road trip.
In the meantime found a rolling frame out of Lismore $200 that's mine also part of the road trip.
Then late one nite an original 79 model shows up in Wonthagi Vic to good of condition to pass up. That's mine $760 oh well another road trip.
So I head out to pick up the 500 in Vic wow starts easy bit rattley and some oil leaks 2 day trip there and back but it's home.
Around about Yass on the way home I received a text from one of the feelers I put out "hey dude got 2 xl500s come in and have a look

So now I have 5 XL500s and missus is seeing red.
Went up for a Blue slip today and the cables around the steering head have made the compliance plate illegible.
Bloody thing is also blowing headlight bulbs 6V 35/35 there a bit hard to track down now and pricey.
So to the point the 500rc runs 12v can I just change the stator and bulbs to convert from 6 to 12v?

DOK

Offline DOK

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Honda Mechanics please?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 08:51:45 pm »
So my plan is to have 1 road registered and build 1 for flat track and 1 for mx.
I think I suffer from a bit of hoarders disease because I also have klx 250's (1 complete and running and maybe another 2 in bits and pieces )witch I am considering using for a suspension graft for the mx 500 version.
DOK

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 09:33:14 am »
If the stator fits the voltage regulator/rectifier/resister, main fuse, flasher unit and the ignition coil (maybe cdi unit) would also need to be 12v

Offline DOK

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 01:05:44 pm »
Ok thanks Doc
I'm pretty sure I have all those bits.
I didn't think the coil and cdi would be different as they don't take battery power at the moment.
Do you think the pulse pick up on the other side of the engine as well Doc?

Thanks
DOK

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:15:21 pm »
Not sure about the cdi unit or the pick-up Dok..it may well be okay..someone on here should know ???

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:19:57 pm »
nar pulsers would be the same

Offline DOK

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 06:57:17 pm »
Well there is a welcome relief, turn out the main problem was dirty connections on the main fuse.

Thanks for the help guys
DOK