Author Topic: RM 125 N/T CDI unit  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
RM 125 N/T CDI unit
« on: February 18, 2014, 07:47:56 pm »
Good evening all
Just would like to know if anyone here have a good or bad experience with  CDI units fom here. They offer one for RM 125 X
http://www.hpi.be/applistgall.php?select=CDI .
I am looking for a replacement CDI unit for my RM 125 N. I know that a NOS CDI units can be found on e-bay  but even NOS ones are 30 something years old now. With old electronics may be a bit of gamble to spent $150 or so dollars for NOS one that may last for a few months or so.
I am looking at what else is available. Above mentioned CDI is a modern unit with modern electronics. It is for RM 125 X but i am sure it will work with RM 125 N/T. I am looking at one mentioned above because it can be just bolted on so i dont have to modify old or make new brackets.
Also are there any other known modern CDI units that will fit and work correctly on RM 125N/T
Thank you for your help

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RM 125 N/T CDI unit
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:28:30 pm »
HPI have been around for a while & have a good reputation, 81 seems to be the earliest year that both HPI & electrexworld list.
HPI has a cdi listed for the RM100N original part number 32900-40420, is that the same number as the 125?

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 09:01:26 pm »
late model cdis work well in early RM s I have a 87 ( black plastic box) in one of my B models and it is good and before the rule nazis step in here I am in NZ so  no body gives a f87k!
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline Branchy

• B-Grade
  • husky 400 cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 09:07:19 pm »
i didnt beleive it until i seen a bike with this working with no issues and from the local electronics shop

Capacitor Discharge Ignition Kit for Motor Bikes

Ref Silicon Chip May 2008
Many small petrol engines fitted to modern motor bikes use a capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) to improve performance and enhance reliability. The only downside of this is that if the CDI ignition module fails, a replacement can be very expensive. This kit will replace many failed factory units and is designed for engines with separate generator & trigger coils and which generate a positive high voltage to charge the capacitor before firing. Most CDI ignitions operate this way, but there are variations. Luckily, this CDI module uses cheap and readily available parts and is worth a try before shelling out lots of hard-earned cash for a genuine replacement module. Supplied with solder masked PCB and overlay, case and components. Some mounting hardware required.    
     QTY    
     1+    $21.95
     5+    $19.7

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5466
maybe a trip to gloucester for those boy'z really know how to throw a party ps dont mention dungog (must be some old footy rivalry)

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:49:18 pm »
Thank you guys. Sounds great.
Will go for the one that suits RM 125 X .RM 125 X engine is more or less the same as 125N/T only water cooled so there should be no issues with timing.
Not sure about RM 100 N/T unit Tony27.  Since RM 100 has 50mm stroke compare to 54mm stroke on 125 timing may be slightly diferent 
Assasin- Yes i have a CDI from RM 125Z or maybe leter one(black plastic box-no brackets) and it works well  but i have to use straps to hold it in place(not ideal, cdi gets loose) and i dont want to modifie existing brackets.
One from HPI comes with plastic brackets and hopefully bolt on with no mods.
Thank you for helping guys.
Tomas

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 11:35:44 pm »
Tomas the HPI has a good reputation ...................for practice pushing your bike back to the pits. Yet I know some who swear by them. The stroke does not matter because ignitions are timed by crankshaft rotation which (thankfully) is measured in degrees from TDC. 20deg BTDC on a 50mm stroke is the same as 20deg BTDC on a 54mm stroke.
Branchy the JayCar kit is shit.

A good option to upgrade is just graft on a mid 90's or later ignition failing that a YZ80J ignition work very well. A 97 onwards CR 250 ignition is a DC/DC ignition which can be used to power  modern programmable ignitions (including a HPI) which if your after performance the DC/DC ignition is the go. 
Jesus only loves two strokes