Author Topic: Latest pickup  (Read 1210 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Latest pickup
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:48:04 pm »

Just picked this up today.  Seller tells me it is a 1984 model and was a runner when he put it in the shed 18 months ago.
   I haven't unloaded it from my fan yet so I will check out the numbers in the morning and put them up if that helps to date it.  It looks to be in good rebuildable condition, will know more once I pull it down.
   I think the guards and tank will come up with a few hours work but I need to find the best quality plastics and airbox, anyone know a good supplier or do I have to revert to the D C plastic range.
                                                                                                                                   Zane

Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Latest pickup
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 10:22:19 am »
DC does that cool twin air airbox for them.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:41:56 am »
Cool find Zane.....one of the more desirable Suzuki's I reckon. Every time someone posts one of these quality barn finds I hark back to a few years ago and a forum member's silly bleats that there weren't many good bikes left out there, that the first generation VMXers got them all and now that many aren't racing any more are hoarding them. I know he was referring to pre 75 bikes but.......there are still plenty of bikes of all eras if you're prepared to saddle up for an "American Pickers" style hunt. I found a YZ125 G (I think) frame, tank and forks in my mates neighbours shed last weekend. I left it there because I don't need it.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:53:57 pm »
Yeah, you 84 500. Bit of a rare beast that has a lot of one off parts that aren't interchangable with the other 465/500's. The airboxs are though.
Suzuki stock all the plastics for this model except the tank.
The carb you have on it should be a flat slide and it looks like some one has done some pipe mods.
Looks like you have a great basis for a resto though!