Author Topic: cz's and neutrals  (Read 4672 times)

Offline rough rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
cz's and neutrals
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:02:38 am »
hi , seem to be finding neutral's between most gears on both my cz's , 71 250 4 speed and 74 125 5 speed , is this normal ? or can something be done about this
125 seemed to be a bit worse when landing over bigger jumps when riding recently , always seemed to be in neutral
thanks

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: cz's and neutrals
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:32:11 am »
Check out the condition of the guide rails & the end of the pins that run through the shift plate on the 4 speed box. My 400 generally seems to only overshoot 2nd when coming down from 3rd which is fairly often with our short tracks over here even though the dogs on the gears are perfect & the pins have been tidied up, I may get a pair of shift plates from Poland at some stage to see if that helps
The 5 speed motor has a adjustable detent in the cover plate, I'm not 100% sure on how to set it up properly but I would expect that you need to turn the adjuster in until the gearchange becomes stiff then back it off a bit. If the problem has only been in 1 gear I would have suggested looking at the condition of the holes that the adjustable detent clicks into for wear, it would be possible to tig weld up the damage & tidy up the holes although they are also available new

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 10:45:47 am »
I sometimes find the neutrals but usually because my changes get too lazy :D

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 01:17:20 pm »
SHIHT SLOWER
ther arnt jap bikes with smooth slick shifts

Offline rough rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 05:17:26 pm »
had a chance to check out cz 125 gear detent today and found it wasn't pushing very had on the selector plate , when I adjust it any tighter I cant change gears on closer inspection it looks as if at sometime during its life it has been ground to sharp point and is sticking in the hole here is a pic of it

I remove the top plate from another later model 125 engine I have , 984.8 motor , and it has an adjustable detent with a ball bearing that falls into the holes on the selector plate , see pic

mounting of the selector plate is also different

have fitted the plate from the later motor  with the ball to my motor and it has  much smoother shift so might run with that one

has anyone got a pic of the detent with a point so I can compare it with the one I have shown that has been ground to a point so I can see what its ment to look like
thanks
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:21:54 pm by rough rider »

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 12:27:29 pm »
Pretty sure the 1 I have here is the adjustable type, was looking at a Falta last weekend which had the non adjustable detent like yours & the owner said that he adjusted the detent by changing the thickness of the sealing washer. Will try & find out what the end of his detent looks like for you
I thought all the 5 speed transmissions used the adjustable type detent with hardened steel rails in the cover, learn something new every day

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 02:02:06 pm »
Hi,
I'd be looking at operator error before looking at detent spring pressures , If its happening on both bikes and the same jump,
Try these ,
Remove the gearshift lever, after first selecting the gear you think its "falling out " of  and try the same jump,  yes you will have to push start it ,
Try the same jump on both bikes,  wearing your joggers, not wearing your new fangled modern plastic covered boots , you won't be able to feel your way through the gearchange with those on
Try an early Yamaha lever, the after market steel ones ,keep the same length but  shorten the part that contacts your boot  to 20mm that will mean you have to "feel for  it " when changing gear, rather than the gearlever finding your foot/boot by mistake,
My CZ gearshift problems went away when I wore SIDI VMX boots and I used a modified Yamaha gearlever shortened at the bit that catches on your boot
Cheers and
Merry Christmas

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 02:36:09 pm »
There you go.....straight from the horses mouth. Watching all the CeeZee guy's at the Nats a couple of months ago....that left foot action is pretty major....when I was an apprentice, my old boss didn't have to lift his leg that far to kick me up the backside and I'm 6ft tall. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline rough rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 07:04:33 pm »
tony mine does have a steel washer someone has put under the screw to try and pack it up a bit if I remove this and just use the fiber washer I cant change gears just locks into the detent
hmm you maybe onto something bamford I have new alpinestars ! I was having a bit of trouble before , but have never had it jump out of gear landing, never jumped it as big as I was at the last meet either

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 11:39:07 pm »
yes lift the knee up with the left foot straight  . we have four cz's  and I can find neutral on them all sometimes..   ;D
My fastest lap is the first one :)

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 08:02:44 am »
or put a sachs gear box in and have 6 neutrals ;D ;D ;D ;D
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 12:22:01 pm »
The easiest fix is to buy a Yamaha or Suzuki.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 02:47:16 pm »
found the same problem on me old Zook's studied the papers and yep it was me getting Lazy and the gear stick length best to have a lever to look for and that goes for the rear brake aswell and yes lift that knee and some times when your right upfront use your heal  you can gear change and keep ya C of G