Author Topic: government import costs  (Read 1268 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
government import costs
« on: December 22, 2013, 07:53:57 am »
I have been importing stuff from the usa for about 10 years now but this last year the costs have jumped over 300% this 250.00 per 1000.00 ausd invoice fee is killing the import trade for most people.
what cost me 100.00 last year now has jumped to 375.00 this year for exactly the same thing.
anyone else have the same problem
jim

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: government import costs
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:25:57 am »
Anything I buy now I ask for a postage cost to my address before going ahead, it's amazing how much you can save by asking.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: government import costs
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 10:45:34 am »
What Jim means is the tax increases on this end for items imported through an importer. In the past many of us have shipped items that would have cost too much to post via a third party importer, usually the same bloke we used to bring bikes in from the USA. In August the government decided it wanted more of the pie so they changed the way imported items were taxed.  I still don't fully understand the new system but I learned the hard way a couple of weeks ago that it's probably now cheaper to mail small items. Like Jim I got hit a beauty......I imported two petrol tanks and a swing arm and got hit $340 for the pleasure. In the past I'd have paid $100 tops for the same shipment. On Monday I have to pick up part two of my shipment, a cylinder, another swingarm and a pair of Rickman hubs and I expect to be hit up a similar amount. Sadly, the cost savings of importing parts via an importer seem to be a thing of the past. Ironically, importing a bike isn't affected as much as long as the stated value is under $1000.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha