Author Topic: Problem lacing up a Husky Hub -- any ideas?  (Read 756 times)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Problem lacing up a Husky Hub -- any ideas?
« on: December 24, 2013, 02:25:04 am »
Have been doing a few jobs on the 72 CR450 Husky, one of the jobs is to replace the small front hub with the correct and hopefully "better stopping" 160 mm hub.
The spokes are a kit from Buchanan and they drilled the Rim and marked it for "drum side" and the hoes are a little offset -- all as it should be, the spoke kit comes with 9 of the long ones a little more bent on the end -- all as it should be, but, when I lace it up there is a problem, the big side gets done first, all goes well, all nipples are in at about 3/4 thread "contact" and the rim offset is about right, lookin good, then turn it over and fit the long spokes, and with a Husky hub this is the easy bit because the spoke holes on the hub are slotted, and here is the problem...

9 of the spokes are about a centimetre too long and every other one is about a centimetre too short, alternating, the ones pointing clockwise are too long and the ones pointing counterclockwise are too short, scratch head time...

If you are familiar with Husky hums you will recall that the small side spokes attach by a steel collar that seems to be pressed on (or perhps cast on/in) so there is a possabiity that the collar has twisted, see photo.

Anyone got a big Husky hub they can look at to see if the holes line up or are out a bit as in my photo, let me know what you see.

Anyone seen a twisted Husky hub before?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks