Author Topic: Engine paint strip.  (Read 1405 times)

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
Engine paint strip.
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:29:40 pm »
I have a complete engine in good running order but want to strip off the original black paint and then keep the mag/alloy look.
Should I go to a vapour/sand blaster or is there a way I can DIY?
Next question, how should I treat the bare alloy to maintain that look?
This has probably been covered before but I'm lazy.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Engine paint strip.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:39:27 pm »
Yes I need that thread on Magnesium treatment as well slidey. I think it may have been Gippslander? that shared that one with us?

Off the track;;;;
Since then, These days, so I can find them threads, I have started to build a bookmark file index, Straight up when I see a useful thread, packed full of  knowledge, for future projects and prosperity.

Works great until you realise it had been started by one of the usual thread deleting Numb Nuts.

"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:55:56 pm »
I wanted to do a back brake plate recently - just used Moto Pro paint stripper - took all the paint and shite off and the finished product came up good.  I would like to blast my gear but for smaller items this maybe better and easier to do.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline kenny5000

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:54:57 pm »
Im also wondering about Mag casings as I have two engines that need stripping and painting. I was thinking that vapour blasting may bad for magnesium due it being reactive to water????

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:03:55 pm »
I have had two of my engines bead blasted 8 years ago and they still look the same as it was done on the day.
A mate of mine made is own blast both 2.5 /1.5 in size to blast frames and full engines he done a TT500 and DR500 engine for me complete running engine no probs.

I have not treated the alloy in any way and don't need two (STILL LOOKS GOOD ) .
 but with mag it will go a dark grey colour and should be coated in clear or paint to stop the water and air to cause it to rot . I like the bead blast look that's my two bobs.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:11:41 pm »
That's probably a good Idea Mick25, clear coat. I will hope to have my new soda blast plant running by Xmas.
I will try powder clear on my CZ front hub and two pac clear on the rear, the years will then tell.

I don't think you can buy the chemical that treats Mag with that gold finish, unless you have industry supply because of OH&S, could be wrong though.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)