Author Topic: Knee Braces  (Read 6776 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: Knee Braces
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 06:37:52 pm »
I wear Pod K700's, seem pretty good, Monza Imports had em on special $350 for the pair !!!.  I had EVS before these, hated them! None are as good as my custom-made CTi brace I had in the 80's (worn-out now).

What I think is important is that there isn't too much leg coverage as the leg gets very hot, needs air circulation.

I would like to try the Asterisk's, I find with a hard-formed top arm around the thigh, that it moves away from the leg as the knee bends, maybe my knees (both artificial and original) don't follow the same arc that the brace hinges do?

With the Asterick's and the mid-priced CTi by 'Inovation Sports', they have a flexible top fitting brace that would stay in contact with the leg through the whole hinge arc (I presume).

Goof & I had the first CTi braces in the country, I read about them in Motocross Action, I contacted Inovation Sports in California, they got me to sketch around my leg and post it to them, they custom made it with my name embossed into the carbon fibre.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 08:06:08 pm »
I've had Asterisk for around 4 years now, best things apart from a helmet you could buy safety wise..

They do take a bit to fit right but after then they're sweet! I did also cut the long strings off because I found they dug into the back of my legs.

Carl
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline Ken 737

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 01:05:49 pm »
A big + 1 for knee braces.

Read Crabman's sobering story! Don't wait till you wreck your knee/s.
I use Pod K300s. About $280 each and well worth the 'insurance'. Once you work out the right fitting they can be worn all day without any drama. As someone mentioned, have a good set of long socks underneath. I cut a piece of sock ''tube'' from an old sock and wear this over the under-sock where the top part braces against the tibia - makes it more comfortable. Hey, even if it is not 100% comfortable it is well worth it.
My health insurance company pays $250 per year for equipment like knee braces, yours may too.
I hit the ground hard and slid for 10 m at Harrisville a couple of weeks ago. (Front tyre blew - check your old tyres, plenty of tread but cracked side walls). The TM is getting repaired but thankfully my knees are fine :)
Cheers
Suzuki fan - TM and RM
Love my IT too ????

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 01:44:04 pm »
It only - I sacrificed safety for comfort. I have been riding for 43 years and never got the time to go and get proper fitted braces.
Net result I have got plenty of time now - and still plenty of time on crutches..

My advice - get proper braces
Old and slow - and happy

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 02:54:29 pm »
A big + 1 for knee braces.

As someone mentioned, have a good set of long socks underneath. I cut a piece of sock ''tube'' from an old sock and wear this over the under-sock where the top part braces against the tibia - makes it more comfortable. Hey, even if it is not 100%
Cheers

I wear SKINS, adds for warmth in the cold, and recovery:) but they are pricey!!
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 01:13:26 pm »
I've used CTi customs for over a decade and wont trust anything else to safeguard my knees. The security offered by them is second to none, but you pay for that privilege. Are they worth it? 2K versus 5-8K for a reconstruction, I'll take my CTi's EVERY time. If you have any migration problems with the braces, just use an undersock of some description (some have even used stockings!) to prevent the brace from moving and comfort.
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...