Author Topic: Frame repairs Bore and Bush or weld and grind?  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
Re: Frame repairs Bore and Bush or weld and grind?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 08:11:55 am »
You could always try something like this

and then bush the finished round holes.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 09:41:58 am »
If it was me, I'd do the washer (a nice thick one with a snug fit) , but I'd tack weld or braze it from the outside.
Regards
David

Id do exactly this too and braze it in place. Make sure to use a machine washer and some cheap crap from a hardware chain. Brazing would be best as minimum heat will be required.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 10:30:40 am »
Your thinking about it too much, it’s not a bearing surface, it only holds the bolt in place as the bearings run in the rocker arm.
It is worn upwards as this is the direction of pressure and the plate that the hole is in is only thin.
I would weld it only around the worn part and then carefully grind it back until the pin fits in snugly. It may take a couple of goes to get it right.

As the hole on the bottom part is in the correct position you use this as the base to work from, don’t weld or grind this part.
This is where reamers can stuff it as they will cut a new hole but they will offset the hole as it finds the easiest way.
Mills are all well and good but something like a frame is really hard to bolt down tight and square and if it is not held down tight then it will chatter.

Take this advice above GMC has more experience than all of us put together.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490