Author Topic: Silencer Packing two strokes VMX  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Bondi Rabbit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Silencer Packing two strokes VMX
« on: October 22, 2013, 03:03:20 pm »
I have a YZ125x and the small silencer never had packing since I owned it in 78. Is it suppose to have it ? Does it work and Does anyone use it on VMX bikes . Saw some on Torpedo which was cheap ?

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Silencer Packing two strokes VMX
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:10:10 pm »
Yes Yes Yes
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Bondi Rabbit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 03:45:10 pm »
Another Stupid question , is there a packing technique or is it self explanatory

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 09:23:33 pm »
www.boykoracing.com

Scroll down to muffler packing
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:07:48 pm »
125X muffler will need to be cut open to repack. Most people cut at the weld at the back and rewelding once the new packing is in.
I prefer to cut out a rectangle from the side and the pop-rivet a patch over the hole. It looks a bit crap, but makes future repacked very easy, and can actually be repaired very neatly if/when the bike is retired from active duty (and functionality takes a back seat to appearance).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline kim80y

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 10:21:59 pm »
When doing noise testing earlier this year at QVMX- it was the 125cc class that was the closest to the limits, must be the big revs they pull.
Noise testing became compulsory in June 2013 in the MOMS.

So yes, definitely pack that silencer!!!
Cheers
Kim ;)

Offline Glen08

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 01:01:50 pm »
Don't pack it to tight,  I have used roofing bats for years & rap it then wire it in place , insert it back into the stinger by rotating it so as to not disturb the packing,, works "quietly" well for me ;-).

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 01:25:34 pm »
125X muffler will need to be cut open to repack. Most people cut at the weld at the back and rewelding once the new packing is in.
I prefer to cut out a rectangle from the side and the pop-rivet a patch over the hole. It looks a bit crap, but makes future repacked very easy, and can actually be repaired very neatly if/when the bike is retired from active duty (and functionality takes a back seat to appearance).
yep done the same with me RM B models cut around each end, pull the perforated tube out, pac with ceiling bats as ya sticking the tube in and if ya good at welding you wont even know its been done :) ;)