Author Topic: Securing handgrips  (Read 2673 times)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
Securing handgrips
« on: October 06, 2013, 08:45:18 PM »
What's the best method? J

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Securing handgrips
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »
I wire mine on. 3 wires. Never used glue. Use contact spray to lube the grip when sliding on. Works best on smooth bars. Knurled bars make it harder to get tight but can be done.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
All my bikes just have the bar or throttle tube 'keyed' with a course file, then I use either Aerostart or straight petrol in the grip, it slightly disolves the surface layer of the rubber (and makes it easy to slide the grip on), then just slide the grips on, after 15 min of drying time the grip is stuck.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »
3m glue

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 10:07:15 PM »
I've both wired them and glued them in the past but now I just glue them on with Bostik or whatever I have handy. I use both Oury or Magura grips and have discovered the hard way that Oury grips self destruct if petrol is used to slide them onto the bars. I have no idea why but I've never had the problem with Magura, Scott or any others I can think of.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:42:21 PM »
Spray paint works good,makes it so easy,had a similar problem to Firko,but only with cheap shit grips,give it plenty of time to dry though,put a new set on one of the fleet recently about lunch time, still wasn't properly dry at about 5pm when I packed up for the day,all good to go next morning,then lockwire if you wish :)

Offline JIM77

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:49:55 PM »
I'm a fan of a swish of petrol around the inside, slide them on and lock wire 10mins later, I've never had a problem with this method, I generally stick to the same brand of grips.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:58:51 PM »
A clear coat spray paint to the inside of grip, slide them on and safety wire.
The paint dries to act as glue, but doesn't create any issues when trying to remove grip later down the track.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
Sorry to burst your bubble but wiring a grip is for not for security. Wiring a grip is to create a permanent seal between the grip and the bar/throttle tube to stop moisture and the like getting past, more so when the grip ends have been removed to fit bark-busters for the trail riding fraternity or those crappy alloy bar ends that cause no end of trouble on a muddy race day.  Yes it has a minuscule  benefit of adding a level of security but not much given the less than .50mm clamping force. Do your self a favor and spend the $3 at a bike shop and get the proper vulcanising grip glue and you'll never have an issue. Just remember to use disposable gloves cause getting that shit on your skin is akin to getting super glue on your skin and put the throttle side on with care so you don't end up glueing the throttle tube to the bar.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline geoff

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 11:24:05 PM »

The simple speedy solution to fitting handlebar grips, is to use the wife/ partners hair spray. Just a quick spray up the inside and slide on, they should hold tight very quickly. I always wire grips aswell.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »

The simple speedy solution to fitting handlebar grips, is to use the wife/ partners hair spray. Just a quick spray up the inside and slide on, they should hold tight very quickly. I always wire grips aswell.

This is the method I use as well. Works a treat. Just be sure to clean both the inside of the grip and the bars with wax and grease remover or prepsol before you spray inside the grip. Dries in 15 minutes or so.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.