Author Topic: YZ250 Front Brake Cable Inter Changeability Question  (Read 779 times)

Simo63

YZ250 Front Brake Cable Inter Changeability Question
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:44:47 am »
After the front brake cable grabbed my front wheel over the finish line jump at Toowoomba a few weeks back and spat me uncerimoniously onto the ground, I need to replace the cable on my 81 YZ250H.

I have looked around but I can only seem to find cables for the later 82 - 83 YZ's?  I am running the 81 type twin leading shoe front brake and whilst I know the lug on the forks and backing plates are in a different spot from 81 to later, all the pictures I can see of these cables makes them look like they will fit.

So my question for the Yamaha gurus is, will a front brake cable from the later 82-83 YZ's fit my 81 YZ?

Thanks  :)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: YZ250 Front Brake Cable Inter Changeability Question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 10:25:26 am »
I would think so Kenny koala...how did the brake cable "catch" your front wheel?.....did you not have all the cable guides?....you can buy the triple tree ones from Yamaha still... they fit nearly every bike known to mankind. If you haven't got the forkleg one on it then use 3/4 electrical tape around it. Sounds like you need a mechanic to go over your bikes.....Foxy will be double checking all your bikes at scrutineering from now on. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Simo63

Re: YZ250 Front Brake Cable Inter Changeability Question
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 10:43:02 am »
Yeah thanks John  :)

So you think so or are you sure?  I wanted to buy a couple so I would have a spare so really wanted to make sure it did fit.

I do have all the original guides and stays in place but the original front cable on the bike always had a small bend in it just above the lower stay.  It hasn't proved a problem on the natural terrain tracks we normally ride but I suspect the bigger jumps and landings at Toowoomba allowed it to bend in and grab the tyre.  I think foxy  made the original bend larger at the same time he undid my rear brake arm  :)

I'm healing nicely .. should be all good for the AGM meeting