Author Topic: Colourful Maico 490 on eBay.  (Read 6194 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Colourful Maico 490 on eBay.
« on: September 12, 2013, 11:35:47 am »
It looks like the good taste fairy took a detour past this blokes shed. It's a pity as it's a pretty good thing other than the clash of colour.
                                                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Maico-490-Vintage-Motocross-King-/121174756073?forcev4exp=true#v4-41

1981 Maico Mega 2 490.  Considered to be the best open class motocross bike ever built, this Maico is also one of the trickest you will find.  Yes, there's all sorts of red ones out there, so this bike is distinctive in its orange powder coated frame (Dodge Big Block Hemi Orange.)  So, what is under the hood (heh, heh.)  As you can see, the machine includes a PVL ignition, 38 MM Mikuni from Sudco, Maico Only Pipe and silencer, virtually new kevlar clutch plates, and a recent thorough review of the motor.  The cases are guarded by a MO case guard and a Maico Only Ignition cover.  In addition to all these goodies, there is so much more.  Obviously, the aluminum swing arm, MO front and rear brake plates with virtually new brake shoes, billet front braking arm, Maico Only rear brake pedal, and super trick billet triple clamps.  The front forks have Race Tech emulators and springs.  The rear shocks were recently done by Nost, with excellent valving for a 200 pound intermediate/expert rider (more on the rider in a moment.) Tires are Dunlop Geomax 31s with a lot of life left.  Handle bars are Renthal RC bend 7/8 virtually new with Renthal Kevlar grips.  The front JT replica number plate with carbon fiber cable guide covers the triples. Cables are all recent Vemar brand. The tank is a nice addition and I will include an extra set of Cross Up NOS graphics.   In addition to this, I am including additional orange powder coated front fork tubes and the remaining orange powder should you need it.  This bike was last ridden by World Champion Danny LaPorte at the Racer X Inter Am in 2012.  (btw, Danny is one of the coolest guys you will meet.)  Downsides:  the cases are the GT set.  The bike came this way to me, but it has the MC Motocross gears.  If you are looking for a numbers matching garage queen, this isn't it.  Additionally, it has the Maico quirk of occassionally locking the kickstarter.  It has a new kickstart mechanism installed, but I couldn't get it to completely go away.  Just put it in gear, rock it for a second, then try again.  Perhaps or likely so, someone can easily fix this. There are also a few small dings on the tank.  I believe these could be fixed by one of the "dent doctors" that do car door dents if one desires.  This is a racer and will have the usual few nicks. But, they are few!  Sold as is.  Paypal deposit of $500 will need to be made within 24 hours of the sale.  The remainder will need to be by cashiers check.  Shipping is up to the buyer.  I can get it to a local dealership which has a fork lift for pick up.  If you want it crated, that can be done but it will be $100 more.  No title.  It's an old dirt bike.  I have priced the buy it now in the area where other bikes have sold and you can see just the options would total up to a great deal when just a frame is over $1000.  If you have questions, let me know and thanks for looking.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Colourful Maico 490 on eBay.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:51:49 am »
You know what Mark?...I like it....coming from a bloke who lives where they grow pineapples and banana's ;D...LOL....it sort of grows on you and looks way better than the run of the mill boring MC490's out there....all you would need is a sandman or drifter ute to chuck it in the back of, JohnnyO's Gaerne boots, a Bell open face with a jofa mouthguard and you'd be the coolest dude at the track....you know you love it. 8)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:52:59 am »
Have to agree with Davey!!
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:09:51 pm »
firko do you think that 78/79 tank would have to be modified to fit a 81 frame,i don't really like it other than that

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 01:11:59 pm »
what swing arm is that?

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 01:30:24 pm »
Could be a KLP  one Paul.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 01:54:41 pm »
Its really those colours? :o  I thought the colour saturation on my monitor had gone mental..............
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 03:18:33 pm »
I don't mind the yellow plastic or the groovy 80's Crossline/Wheelsmith graphics (I had 'em on my '82) but I hate the orange frame, it turns the bike into a packet of licorice allsorts. :o :o
Not sure what's needed to fit the Magnum tank Paul, I assumed it'd be a bolt on. The swingarm looks suspiciously like a Karl Landrus creation and of doubtful legality here.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 04:03:59 pm »
Nice to see one other than red ;)

Offline Branchy

• B-Grade
  • husky 400 cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:05:44 pm »
wouldn't take much to turn that into a parramatta supporter's bike ......  :-X
maybe a trip to gloucester for those boy'z really know how to throw a party ps dont mention dungog (must be some old footy rivalry)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 05:34:40 pm »
So it comes last? ;D

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 06:30:13 pm »
Best reply i have seen on this site in a long time   8)
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 07:21:44 pm »
What / Where the yellow rear guard?

Offline SON

• Legend