Author Topic: My Rat Bike's Rustier Than Your Rat Bike!!  (Read 3744 times)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
My Rat Bike's Rustier Than Your Rat Bike!!
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:35:48 pm »
Pics of my HT1 that arrived last sunday AHHH, what have i bought--sight unseen. [$100] Had it running yesterday, just the bare bones with everything removed. Waterblasting hell out of it with the dirtblaster nozzle which didn't do a hell of a lot as it won't blast rust off!!. Love those old Hitachi Magnetos the early yams had. Bit of fuel in the carb, ran a points file through to give them a light scratch then a few prods & disturbed the neighbours dinner [again], no exhaust. Motors good, smooth to turn & full compression.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: My Rat Bike's Rustier Than Your Rat Bike!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:37:21 pm »

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:46:48 pm »
   Save yourself a lot of grief and keep her as a rat ! look cool with  rego gettin' round town :D

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:52:33 pm »

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:53:35 pm »

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 07:59:23 pm »
you might have to fix the header pipe....
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 08:01:38 pm »
Found these pics on a Japanese site called GooBikes [not goo girls now] For sale, done 13000k's & wants $8630 [or there abouts] Looks like it just came out of the crate & see it has a tacho so must be different variations apart from what we saw here in nz. Was a green one too like mine for $5300 & something us dolaro's. Golly Gosh--i have a gold mine here!!

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 08:03:08 pm »
  Good bush mechanic would use some chicken wire and muffler bandage - no wuckers :D

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 08:12:07 pm »
Yes, Half price rego at 40 years, now there's a thought. Pity the rego's not on hold as goes for most of my bikes bugger it. Won't be restoring it [a restorer i'm not] but will get it going good & rideable then squeeze it in between the others. 25 now i think & the old stables full--& the possum shits on everything that's not covered. Frighten shit outa me a while back when went to get something in the semi dark [must be here somewhere---] possum took off at headhight around the wall & away.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 08:21:34 pm »
         ;D ;D ;D 

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 08:24:28 pm »
Yes the pipe--gonna have to relent & hire some gas bottles. Boc Gas have the gas thing by the balls & now 'my' balls so it seems. Have a chamber or two to weld up anyway. Microwave gave up so turned it into chamber cones [0.5mm] another i have to weld was a stove i think, [0.8] & hard to roll by hand but think it must be a sort of semi high tensile as rolled in small flats every 5mm or so, thought bugger it--it'll work if i can weld it.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 10:49:02 pm »
I’ll raise you a special 84 ‘Prototype’ KDX
You can tell the Prototype models by the special white plastics

Just have to weld up a small crack in the rim and it should be good to go

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 10:57:51 am »
love your KDX & funny thing is, have my HT1 running now [yesterday], actually went out the gate & straight into a wheely exactly as i racalled from back in the day then wife came out doing a war dance [no helmet & i'm a walking head injury--sorry dear], old habits hard to break!! I'll put pics up showing [little] difference after waterblast & lots of hours freeing up etc. Anyway, runs absolutely perfect with no motor noise whatsoever. Usual piston port growl & pulled an easy 50mph up the road. BUT, KDX link is my farmer neighbor dropped of a KDX pipe [cleaning out the shed] & i cut the first bit off to get the bend for the HT1, then a bit of RD350 header then [being too stingy to fill my gas plant] i quite successfully arc welded it all up [barely leaks at all], might go over it again if i can get rid of the flux & zig zag over the top. Wired the lights to the 25/25 high beam, dip switch stuffed, hooked the stop light fillament to soak up some voltage & did a night run down road--really good. Have a 6volt ac regulator which i might fit [bulb saver regulator]. Anyway--all that story was about the KDX link via exhaust. Cheers.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 11:05:54 am »
It’s not advisable to chip the slag from your welds, most arc welds I see on exhausts it’s actually the slag that is holding them together. ;D :D

That’s a good deal that your Yammie runs, this KDX was left sitting out in the weather with no spark plug so I assumed the crank would be stuffed but I had it stripped down the other day and was surprised to find oil still on the crank and all looking respectable except I can feel some play in the rod so it will need a rod kit.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 07:35:07 pm »
just pump the tyre up on the kdx, that rim will go for a while yet [maybe not]. Must say it's the worst i've seen--gosh. reminds me of my 490k when a young work mate of my son rode it in our annual 'johhny old' mx [won the main event] & when they returned it i put the original front end back in [had an it200 disc set up for a while], anyway--swapping the good tyre over & the IT rim was 'so' corroded under the rim band that i could have poked a screwdriver through it. Never did show him the pic. Put a 5 speed in after that & [also lucky he finished the day because] found the kick start stop that broke on the day [lever went forward to stop on cover] had got into the gears & shredded teeth on probably second i think & were just overlapping enough to drive but probably not for another lap more. Another time [steel rims this time]--Gunnar Lindstrom had a cracked front rim on his Husky [Timaru Mx in ummm end of "67] i went with him to the farmers shed & [he was 'good'] just let the tyre down, pushed it over & shielded it with something & set about gas welding the rim using some electric fence wire, just fizzed the galvanising off it & welded it. Then went on & cleaned us all up for the day--as he did everywhere. Great days.