Author Topic: Fox Air Shox  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Fox Air Shox
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:18:29 PM »
Gurus - will get around to taking them off and getting them checked - but can anyone tell me (if it's an easy answer) why a set of Fox Air Shox would be acting like pogo sticks - no damping what so ever - plenty of downward OK but then bounce straight back up?  On a 1980 Honda CR250 - 17.5 inch???

ta

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Fox Air Shox
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:23:54 PM »
Lack of oil, split bladders, rebound shim broken or loose? You'll have to pull them apart to know for sure..

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:43:59 AM »
and all the parts are available off the shelf.  seals, bladders, nuts, bodies, top and bottom mount, build new ones if you fancy!
postage from the UK is about a week to Oz....

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:53:28 AM »
flower pot what web site can i get these parts from

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 07:21:39 AM »
Rod Spry in the UK has got a HUGE box of NOS Fox Air Shox stuff with every widget known to man.  All parts to service the shocks and enough new stuff to build new shoxs.  All three length bodies, in two colours, tops to go on the bodies, the bottom eye, brass nuts, bladders, seals, the big nut that goes on the shaft inside, new tab washers, pistons, seals, the whole shooting match.

Rod works bloody hard and isn't always able to get to the PC with emails, best bet is to call him, a quick google search will find his number.  If you struggle getting him, send me a PM and I am happy to help. I have got some parts and could help, but Rod is the expert and knows the shocks inside out.

What are you after?

Don't forget that there are other people who can help who know these shocks inside out and can help with spares.

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:33:27 AM »
You can also try Thor Lawson, he's a good bloke, easy to deal with and has every little part you could possibly want, although his webpage is a bit hard to follow, it's easy to just to give him a call and have a chat.

http://ltthor.home.comcast.net/~ltthor/forsale.html

Offline hagon_84

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 11:38:43 PM »
Anyone got any experience with air shox in yz's (monoshock) are they adjustable to stiffen them up a bit
1977 Hagon rm250b, 1977 yz400d, 1972 gauzonni rm125, 1969 greeves griffon 250, 1973 greeves griffon qub 380, hagon eso 500.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 12:02:51 AM »
You do realise the gas pressure is the spring rate? Increasing the pressure stiffens the shock and you can also raise the oil level and change the size of the compression damping jet internally.

Offline ozktm

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »
Pulled many apart, and have them running on my 81 250 and 495 KTM's.
I have found :

Internal rubber bump stops perished and puts shit in the oil, holding the shim open
General dirt holding the shim open
Broken negative rebound springs that then rubbed causing metal fleck holding shim open
If you use too heavier and oil the secondary pop off spring for the ball bearing will activate all the time affecting rebound.
If you use too smaller jet for rebound control the secondary pop off spring for the ball bearing will activate all the time affecting rebound.

I use a stiffer pop off spring that Thor offered me, and run a heavier oil, after doing this my bikes changed the way they exit a corner on dirt track from the pogo-ing exit to a control exit, ie rebound slowed.
Increasing your pressures will affect the way the compression and dampening.

The good thing is, you can pull these apart in no time at all and change oils/ jets etc easily.
Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

'72 KTM 175 |'74.5 KTM 250 |'74.5 KTM 400 |Hagon/KTM 250 proj|'76 MC5 250 Project |'76 MC5 400|'78 KTM 250 Project |'81 KTM 250 MC | '81 KTM 495 MC