Author Topic: DT400 wont start- ignition problem??  (Read 758 times)

dr30

DT400 wont start- ignition problem??
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:48:34 pm »
Hi there,

New to the forums and already have a question!

Me and some mates are building up a 1976 dt400 that was sitting in another mates yard for many years. The motor had put the rod through the crankcase, so we purchased a replacement motor. The replacement motor is out of a 1975 MX400.

We wired up the new motor with basic wiring (no lights, etc)- but cant seem to get it started. We used the CDI and the coil of the original DT400 motor.

However, we seem to be having a bit of an electrical problem.

When we try to kick it over there is no spark. But when we disconnect the earth on the CDI and kick it over for a bit, and then connect the earth again we get a spark (as soon as its re-earthed).

Do we have a faulty pulser coil, CDI unit, or coil? Or even something else?

If any electrically minded people could shed some light on our situation it would greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Matt

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: DT400 wont start- ignition problem??
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:09:01 pm »
MX Motor is stuffed and you need to swap it for the good dt400 engine that I have as a spare.

Cheers Darren  ;) :D :D

Sorry couldn't help myself,

Welcome to the forum, not everyone on here is a goose like me.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:10:41 pm by Sorelegs11 »
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

dr30

Re: DT400 wont start- ignition problem??
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:38:49 am »
Haha- thanks Darren!

Where were you a few weeks ago when we were still looking for a motor? PM me a price- we might be interested in it for our next project!

We just discovered the motor is actually out of a DT400C (incorrect engine number info of the web)! Does anybody know if we can run a DT400c stator with a DT400d generator? We think this is were our problem lies....