Author Topic: Specs or contact lenses  (Read 2687 times)

Offline ozktm151

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Specs or contact lenses
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:53:51 pm »
Ah can't remember my ebt password so am posting here. I had difficulty seeing at Harrow. I wear prescription  progressive tint glasses under goggles. Due to the weather I ditched the goggles at the first checkpoint due to fog etc. I think I had trouble for the rest of the lap I did seeing due to the lack of light and the rain. Has anybody else experienced this in the past and changed the way they correct their vision. I think I either need some clear lenses so it lets in as much light as possible or I go with contact lenses. Any suggestions?
Cheers Bill

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Specs or contact lenses
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:17:53 pm »
Bill, if you contact John at Otway Optical ( Also trades as Goggleman) he will be able to help you. He is Optometrist and rides enduro and road bikes regularly. He has been able to help several of my mates with these prescription inserts. I'm sure he can also advise you on contacts.
http://www.goggleman.com.au/contact-us.html

Stan.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:29:37 pm »
http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=1013.msg83230#msg83230
I'm sure there are a couple of other topics also.

The contacts didn't work out, too much fine dust in the atmosphere.Not worth the eye irritation.

Best is in the West !!

mainline

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:05:34 pm »
Just bought a set of the lenses Stan mentioned after struggling with fogged up glasses. Only one ride in but very happy so far.

Offline chippy

• C-Grade
  • how old is too old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:09:17 pm »
I were clear prescription glasses, they work a treat behind my scott glasses goggles, cant ride without them.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:15:52 pm »
Been going through similar stuff myself at the moment.
Had some blurry vision about half an hour into the Harrow loop so I just nursed myself back to camp and called it quits.
Been looking into several things that may be causing it, one of which my Optom reckons I have some minor distance vision problems that may have caused my eyes to strain resulting in the blurry vision.
Not convinced that is the problem but I have a set of glasses coming so time will tell. Spent last Wed. holding my goggles over some glasses trying to see what would fit inside the goggles. Knew there were some better options so thanks for the link Stan. If these glasses make a difference then I may have to invest some $s into the Goggleman

I was told by a few not to bother with contacts as they don’t like dust.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 09:04:29 pm »
useta wear my glasses under googles TILL 1st i did a twilight at Coffs Harbour,pharrrkkk holding goggles off glasses so they wouldn't fog up with clutch hand wasn't conducive to quick starts,so Mr Goggleman to the rescue,can certainly recommend them , :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline ozktm151

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:05:36 pm »
Thanks for the info guys

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 10:45:58 pm »
I wear single vision glasses with SMITH goggles.

The goggles have a small extraction fan in the top and really help reduce fogging. They even work well in Darwin in the wet season, 35 degrees and 95%+ humidity.

I've been caught with only multi-focal glasses at hand but the goggles tend to push them up and I'm looking through the close vision part of the lens.

When you buy goggles to use with glasses look for OTG on the label, I believe it stand for OVER TOP GLASSES.

I haven't tried the prescription inserts as I need glasses all the time and would be stuffed when I take the goggles off. On the other hand a riding buddy swears by them
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline czeck

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 09:46:04 am »
contacts are the only way to go
used them for several years, you can get one day ones, that you put in in the morning and take out when you finish
no fogging, no problems have used the when road riding, mx and snow skiing
rgds