Author Topic: Helmets - need a new one, whats the go??  (Read 9410 times)

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Helmets - need a new one, whats the go??
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 09:57:20 pm »
Be very careful what you buy online. If the helmet has not been approved to AS/NZS1698 don't buy it. Look for the 5 tick label or the benchmark label of certification. Not all helmets have the same certification labelling. This all depends on who is there certifying body eg: SAI Global.
   These cheap helmets do not offer the appropriate level of protection in a crash. Another point to note is that a helmet designed for the US and European market is not the same as what is sold on shelves in Australia. The US and Europe test to DOT standard. The AS/NZS1698:2009  Standard is one of the strictest standards in the world and because of this the helmets sold here are a better quality.
    There are many dodgy manufacturers out there and because can it cost $15k+ to get a licence to sell helmets in Australia, places like Ebay and markets are often easy ways to shift dodgy gear.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:58:51 pm by Maicoman »
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 10:04:33 pm »
I got a Suomy 'Mr Jump' helmet, only weighs 1000 gm's, normal retail is $450, I got it through a normal accessory retailer in the US via ebay, cost me $350 landed.

I think the weight of a helmet is so important, less inertia when it hits something, less stress on the neck in an accident and less tiring to wear.

Riding on the road you need AS approval but for racing most other countries approvals are accepted.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 10:49:01 pm »
The weight of the helmet is extremely important. A light helmet suggests that they are using a low density liner. As for less stress on the neck, what would you rather prefer a sore neck or brain damage.
   The biggest issue with neck problems is helmet rotational forces. That's why external projections greater than 5 mm are tested. The energy attenuating properties of a helmet is by far the most important aspect of any helmet and just part of the process of testing.
  If you're after more info follow the link. Most of the helmets tested were Road bike helmets but it might give you an idea on what to look for when purchasing a new helmet.

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/downloads/safer_motorcycle_helmets_dl1.html
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 03:25:58 am »
last north bris flat track
i was asst scrurtineer
picked up a helmet that weighed next to nothing
the dad said $600
is this the airoh you speak of
Likely to be so, my stelt has a lower stated weight than my trials helmet. The tri-composite helmets weight less than the cheap plastic helmets