Author Topic: Road registered VMX bikes  (Read 2384 times)

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Road registered VMX bikes
« on: May 21, 2008, 04:31:40 pm »
Wonder how many blokes out there have a road registered vmx bike. Been thinking for a while if enough out there why not have a get together for a leisurely ride through National Park (Sydney) or terrorise the eastern suburbs, i'm sure it would be a unique experience and would no doubt attract some attention while exposing a bit of VMX to the masses.     

Mark Austin

Re: Road registered VMX bikes
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 05:45:12 pm »
I'm in.
I'll take the mighty RT2
Cheers,
Mark

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 07:27:54 pm »
I was lucky enough to Babysit a Can -Am 400 Qualifier in the early 80's.A road bike bike riding mate thought he would  have a dabble in the dirt bike scene.I remember picking it up with him from Top Ryde(Rider) M/C. I rode it to work for about 6mths in Sydney and would love the peak-hour drag races from the lights to and from work at Liverpool,from the Padstow area.There were not too many bikes that would come close to it over the first 200-300 yards-huge fun.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:53:01 pm »
Funnily enough, I was just reading the old article in ADB where they were talking about MX bikes being used as road racers (this is the one about Alan Cunyngham's CR250RC, not the later one about the DT200).

I've got DT1F, AT2 and DT400C/250A projects on the go. All will be rego-able, but will probably end up on club rego.

But count me out for the ride, 'cause I hate riding on the road. :-[/ ::)/ :)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

lms6201

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:44:22 am »
i have my mk 10 frontera reg,d , am too far away for that ride but   

Offline BETRIC

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 07:59:57 am »
YOU CAN COUNT ME IN, I WENT FOR A RIDE THROUGH THE NATIONAL PARK UP TO STANWELL TOPS A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO ON THE COOPER ENDURO, A NICE EASY RIDE, TOOK THE COOPER INTO THE CITY (SYDNEY) FOR A RUN WITH A MATE ON HIS XT500 TO CHECK OUT THE DEUS BIKE SHOP LAST WEEKEND, WAY TO MUCH TRAFFIC FOR ME.   
DELTEK, 72 MINI TRAIL, 73/4 XR75, 77/78 XR75, DG MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, REDLINE FRAME XR75, PK RACING MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, JWRP XR FRAME, SL70K1, 81 CR80RB, TY80A/B, YZ80A/B/D, GT50/80A, GTMX80A, 73 GTMX, GT1, COOPER MX, COOPER ENDURO,MX360A,MX250B,YZ125X MX100, 72 XL250, TC100,TL125, TY250C,IT250J

mx250

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 01:46:50 pm »
Gee you guys get me going :). About 5th on my list is to do something like this but add a light or two....

I've probably got enough scrap bits of DT/RT and LC/RD to make a complete bike. I was thinking RD forks, mags and disc front and rear. Keep the DT tank, colours and graphics for that period look, Dirt Track seat and tail, cr MX gearbox, a chamber, and look out.

But alas, it about 5th in line. I might turn up on a restored LC if that's cool with you guys (it will need to be rego'd). It may not be a rego'd VMX but it does two smoke  ::) 8) ;D

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 04:24:47 pm »
I’ve think I’ve already discussed the idea of a road ride with Mark and Betric on the odd occasion, so thought I would get the ball rolling a bit.

Saw an XL 250 Motosport like mine the other day on the way to work and got me thinking. Given that there were zillions of XL’s, DT’s,RT’s, XT’s, IT’s,TS’s, PE’s, KE’s, KL,s KLX’s plus all the Euro enduros and a Cooper sold all those years ago there are bound to be more than a few that have survived or have been restored with road trim and have current rego or close to it.

Riding these things for any distance on the road especially in traffic isn't always fun, but a trip to the shops, a legal soft trailride or Saturday arvo run thru a back road isn't so bad.

And I'm sure an LC would fit right in there too.

Cheers,
Greg               

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 06:13:41 pm »
 YAMAHA IT 425 G BOUGHT 6 MONTHS OLD REGISTERED EVER SINCE.                                                                                                                                                                                 TERRIORISED NORTH BRISBANE 25 YEARS AGO.                                                                                       

lms6201

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 07:14:19 pm »
ahh a  425 owner , fond memories !!!  top gear wheelies for miles !