Author Topic: VMX Part Wish List - What do we need??????  (Read 14312 times)

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: VMX Part Wish List - What do we need??????
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2013, 04:23:25 pm »
yes slakewell, if i was to print a plastic mould it would be slightly oversize in certain places like gasket faces and bolt holes to then machine out later.

I personally would rather making them from billet but it would be too much waste material, time and cost. i guess ill have to do some more research on how these can be made.

Carl
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline reg

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2013, 04:37:16 pm »
how about an alloy muffler for an AW 250  ;D

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2013, 04:57:20 pm »
yes slakewell, if i was to print a plastic mould it would be slightly oversize in certain places like gasket faces and bolt holes to then machine out later.

I personally would rather making them from billet but it would be too much waste material, time and cost. i guess ill have to do some more research on how these can be made.

Carl

One problem is the hardness of the alloy, whilst it east to buy stock of say 7000 series alloy and then machine it spec it quite another to have a foundry pour your moulds of similar quality.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013, 04:58:40 pm »
Dunlop K88 (4.50x18) and K139 tyres
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2013, 05:18:11 pm »
Good old fashion square block trials universal tyres in a range of sizes (2.75 x 19, 3.00 x 19, 3.00 x 18 and 4.50 x 18) so I can have some descent rubber on my collection of old Yamaha trail bikes.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 07:30:58 pm »
We sell the 3D printers, but there only good really for stuff like plastic, wax shapes etc as the medium has to flow through the print heads, then it just builds up layers as the heads pass over it in a cross section.   Beinag able to pass liquid metal type media will be when it comes into some real uses.

So use a powder based system and a laser (EOS) or electron beam (ARCAM) rather than jet technology.  We use powder bed technology to make some amazing parts for our Industry.  Need to use the right tool for the job.

The interesting thing i seen talk about lately is the food machine, it has the core powdered "materials"  by basic elements. and when dispensed in the right order/quanity etc should be able to make up a stack of differant items.  They are currenlty working on it being able to " print out" a pizza. 

They have already made a machine that will 3D print chocolate!  It looks good, but tastes awful as the elevated temperature of the chocolate causes all the nice flavours to be lost.

Additive Manufacture (A-M) is not the answers to our prayers, it is another tool that will help make things that were previously unmakable.  If you need a 510 cylinder head, you need a foundry / machine shop.  If you need a replacement plastic door handle for your caravan, go to the OEM and buy one for £3.  If you need a gear change meachanism that is 75% lighter than the original part, is half the size, made of one part not 6 and also serves 5 other functions then you may want to consider additive manufacture.  Some of the shapes that can be made cant be produced via conventional means.  The structures are organic as if nature designed them that way.  People tell us they look like parts out if the Alien Movie. 

Typically manufacturing evolves as tweaks are made to processed.  A-M is a revolution that will change the way we look at the world.  It wont mean that end to existing processes, but will allow us to design and manufacture things that were previously unmakeable.

It will always struggle to compete with existing processes.  So if you need a cylinder head, go to the cyclinder head maker.  Where it will always win is with complex, multifunctional, light weight shapes. 

As the technology evolves it is inevitable that costs will come down and build volumes (the size of part you can make) will increase (e.g there is a 500mm3 on the cards now)

I think there are verty exciting times ahead.

At the other end of the scale, cheap printers are getting cheaper and to be fair better.  There will come a time when hoem PCs will come with one.  I suspect it will be a freebee that uses very expensive cartridges!!!!

I am not sure about a pizza machine.  Call me old fashioned, but I would prefer it made the traditional way!   

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2013, 04:30:04 am »
Wonder how long before I can print an expansion chamber out instead of spending hours welding the bastards up.

i think they are developing a GMC genetic clone for that ..... but they are having trouble with the "witty humour" & KDX fetish options
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2013, 11:05:29 am »
  They are currenlty working on it being able to " print out" a pizza. 
By the sounds of it, my local Pizza Emporium has already perfected the process.... ::) ::) ::)
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2013, 07:41:44 pm »
Update is Carl is looking at water cooled Honda CR clutch covers to fix the impeller rot issue.  Should be getting a sample from Ken # 222 from Heaven to continue the adventure.

Pete
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2013, 08:12:43 pm »
Another guy from Heaven is already onto it
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2013, 08:44:28 pm »
yes im aware of that ted, im going about it a different way and could benefit a lot in price to what someone else is doing.

carl

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2013, 10:04:01 pm »
Wonder how long before I can print an expansion chamber out instead of spending hours welding the bastards up.

i think they are developing a GMC genetic clone for that ..... but they are having trouble with the "witty humour" & KDX fetish options

Any GMC clone will always have inherent intermittent problems. :D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2013, 06:41:06 am »
Project is progressing. Thanks to those who have assisted so far.