Author Topic: Kid qualifies for Loretta Lynns on 85 CR250  (Read 12487 times)

Offline Big John

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Kid qualifies for Loretta Lynns on 85 CR250
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2013, 10:53:39 am »
This thead has turned it the age old 2t vs 4t, what it should be about is that the development in bikes since the mid 80s has not made them much faster. I just compair my 92 YZ/WR with my moden YZ the moden, is a better bike but not by much. I just ride in the bush not MX, if I know its not going to be a flat out serious ride, I take the WR, all the young guys on there 450s hang shite on me for the old beat up looking thing but there never waiting for me.
I have been trying to find out the race time from Finke in the mid 80s on the 500 2t compaired to the 2013 race time, my guess would be that there wouldn't be a huge differance.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2013, 10:55:50 am »
        I  think most people just like to see that 50 odd HP of the KTM 2 banger tuned/mapped to make even power from zero to 10'000 rpm -no powerband ,electic power doing everything the fourstroke does(plus more) with a lot less fuss ! EG running a valvetrain at between 11-13'000 rpm

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2013, 11:47:35 am »
Does anyone know how the kid finished?
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2013, 12:59:03 pm »
Google....rider spotlight Jerry Robin 2013 Loretta Lynn for results and a good interview
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2013, 05:48:07 pm »
Jerry is off to South Carolina for two months training - hope he stays on the CR Honda  :P
June 24, 2013 ? Interview

If you spend any time trolling the forums or watching motocross videos, you've probably heard of Jerry Robin and his 1985 CR250R.  He accomplished a feat unheard of. In a sport dominated by high dollar race bikes and half-million dollar haulers, Jerry came in and proved that it's not the equipment - it's the rider that wins races. Jerry took home 2 moto wins, one in 250B and one in Two Stroke, where he earned a 2nd overall and scored a coveted spot on the gate to Loretta Lynn's. We caught up with Jerry to find out just how he did it, and what his plan is for the weeks leading up to his trip to Tennessee. If you haven't seen the video, be sure to check the embed at the bottom of the interview.

Ok, so first things first, you are probably the only kid in this millennium to qualify for Loretta's aboard a mid-80's bike. How did that deal come together?
Well, it all started 6 years ago when we bought that bike. My dad actually bought it for himself and I always wanted to ride it. I started riding it and this year I really enjoyed riding it, so I started racing it. On my 125 the whole transmission went out of it so it was kind of like we have to race the CR. So that's basically why I'm riding it.

So you didn't really have a plan to race it before the season started then, huh?
No not at all, it's just how it played out I guess.

The local race scene is a pretty tight knit community so I'm sure a lot of your friends knew what was up, but did you get some weird looks when you showed up to qualifiers with it?
Oh yea definitely! People are pointing and laughing, stuff like that. All my friends have seen me ride it and kind of know what to expect. I went out there anyway and I had the fastest lap time of the day for a while, then Cody Williams and Benny Bloss turned faster lap times so I had the 3rd fastest lap time over practice day. So, that's cool.

What was going through your head when you were sitting on the line, especially when you knew you were in contention to make it in?
Well uh, I don't know I actually feel less pressure when I'm riding that bike for some reason. I just feel like I can go out there and ride. People can judge you I guess, but you feel better about yourself, or that's how it is for me.

So what's your story, how'd you get into racing?
Well I started racing and riding about the same time, about 10 years ago. My uncle got me into it, he was diagnosed with Esophagus Cancer and he rode, same as my Dad. My dad didn't really want his kids to ride, but my uncle Mark kept riding and he said that the only way he'd get to spend time with me is if I started riding dirt bikes. So that's how that started, he passed away 8 months later but he told me that I could go pro if that's what I wanted to do and I've kind of based my life off of that and am just going for it, you know?

Did you expect things to blow up like they did after making the cut at the Millville qualifier?
Oh no, not at all. Me and my dad were talking and he thought people would really like it but it blew up way more than expected. We've been getting emails, calls, all day and all night, just off the hook. It's wild for sure!

Have you gotten some calls from some potential new sponsors?
Oh yea, a lot of people for sure.

Any plans for the bike before Loretta's?
We are definitely going to do some work to it, we are trying to find new plastic and stuff like that, we're going to take it all apart and make it look really good for Loretta's.

What's your hopes for Loretta Lynn's? Are you hoping to follow up your regional performance at Loretta's?
I sure hope so man! I feel like I kind of have something to prove and hopefully I can make it happen and make 3 consistent motos.

Thanks for taking the time to catch up with us this morning bud, good luck and we'll see you next month at the Ranch!
Oh thank you man, thanks for wanting to do the interview!
Best is in the West !!

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2013, 06:36:56 pm »
Great interview, and sounds like he might keep riding the CR. That would be cool alright.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 10:06:22 pm »
he's got sponsorship  8)

Best is in the West !!

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2013, 11:47:21 pm »
I have been trying to find out the race time from Finke in the mid 80s on the 500 2t compaired to the 2013 race time, my guess would be that there wouldn't be a huge difference.

John, unfortunately it will be comparing apples with oranges. Track differs in distance/terrain & preparation, refuelling is completely different, etc. Obviously the big bore 2 strokes are now outpaced by the 4 strokes.

The 2st is disadvantaged against a 4st at speed in the sand as the torque of the 4st is superior. If the 500 2st had such an advantage over the 450/500 4st every pro level non factory rider would be on a hybrid late model mx'r fitted with 500cc 2 stroke engine.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2013, 11:22:35 am »
When did  4 stroke take the outright for the first time? anyone know?

Offline gt96

• C-Grade
    • View Profile

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2013, 02:01:03 pm »
Thread hijack...

ktm 540 in 2003 so that's about when Honda stopped the cr 500?

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2013, 12:58:51 pm »
Great to see this kid sticking to them--something about riding an old bike against 'newer models' that drives you harder--good on him.
Changing tact slightly--down the RH side of this video where it shows [more videos] there's one of "the fastest" one arm mx'r in the world. Now while i totally respect that guy there's a guy over here [nz] who was a regular mx'r with one arm [other sitting across his waist by memory] this guy's a legend in my eyes [as is the video guy], the video guy has a super trick mechanical arm to attach to the bar [throttle side i think, that's got me thinking!!], Kiwi guy has road races on boxing day at wanganui a lot over the years plus psyched me right out at woodville mx by jumping the doubles one armed & i bloused out--don't think i rode there after that haha. Total respect to both those guys. Cheers.