Author Topic: Delving into unfamiliar TM territory...  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
Delving into unfamiliar TM territory...
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:24:23 pm »
So today I picked up the 74 TM250 that I should of just bought of Freaky when it was on offer a while back.
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=24913.0
I guess it was meant to be in the end as its had 2 owners since him in that short time and finally ended up just up the road from me  :D Neither of the owners since Freaky have done more than fire up the bike and paddock ride it for 5 mins so it's essentially the same machine now as it was back then. I have no experience with these things at all and not much Suzuki specific knowledge either, a few things I need some help with from the get go to set the bike up how I'd like it. What are my (simplest) options for wide foot pegs? Should the OEM pegs have springs?? What difference can I expect see with a GMC pipe fitted and what would be appropriate jetting to suit?? And finally (for now   ::) ) is a pretty neat order complete original exhaust system worth much? I'd like to keep it but as a budget racer I was thinking I'd hock it to help fund the GMC pipe if it'll go a substantial way towards the price of it... I know that's a bit of brain picking all at once but any answers or help will be most appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Brendan  :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:08:29 am by Rookie#1 »
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Yamahaha

• B-Grade
  • Melbourne Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Delving into Unfimilar TM territory...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:04:03 am »
Unfamiliar?! And "in ADVANCE". Sorry couldn't let these slip by while you were joking in another post about simple peoples ads on eBay gum tree etc  ;D
YZ 250 modern, YZ 125G, YZ 125E, IT 400D, IT 175G x 2, YZ 400F CR250re,  2012 yz450fse Service Honda CR500AF.   Viper #73

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Delving into Unfimilar TM territory...
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 12:11:10 am »
Unfamiliar?! And "in ADVANCE". Sorry couldn't let these slip by while you were joking in another post about simple peoples ads on eBay gum tree etc  ;D

It's late, I've had about 7 hours sleep in 2 days, my head hurts....have a baby they said, it's great they said.!!! Those lying bastards!!! :D

lucky she's damn cute!! :-*
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

Simo63

Re: Delving into unfamiliar TM territory...
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 08:11:43 am »
Hey Rookie. Firstly, congratulations on the new addition to the family  ;D

Secondly I'm no TM expert (bit before my era thankfully) however when I was race prepping that TM I purchased last year for the Nats, I installed spring loaded fold back footpegs easily as the OEM ones do not have springs and are pretty useless with their marginal grip.  I used footpegs , springs and pivot from an RM125X but you can use any of them from I think RM125N all the way up to the mid 80's and PE ones of the same years as well.  To those you can weld a set of GMC wide footpegs as they must represent the best value on the market at around $30 a pair.

Then you simply mount them to the frame and work out exactly where to weld a 3/4 inch "pin" (I used the end of a 5 inch nail) to the underside of the footpeg pivot and you're done.  Simple as that.

Jetting is not something that I can help you with but if you start with stock and go from there you've got to be in the hunt?  A GMC pipe would be a great addition to any race bike and as a bonus is locally sourced so you're dealing with the bloke that makes it and also supporting a fellow VMX'r as well.  Wins all round there.

Now go an cuddle that new baby .. they grow up too fast and before you know it you've missed it.  And try to get some sleep as well  ;D ;D

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:52:39 am »
Hey Rookie. Firstly, congratulations on the new addition to the family  ;D

Secondly I'm no TM expert (bit before my era thankfully) however when I was race prepping that TM I purchased last year for the Nats, I installed spring loaded fold back footpegs easily as the OEM ones do not have springs and are pretty useless with their marginal grip.  I used footpegs , springs and pivot from an RM125X but you can use any of them from I think RM125N all the way up to the mid 80's and PE ones of the same years as well.  To those you can weld a set of GMC wide footpegs as they must represent the best value on the market at around $30 a pair.

Then you simply mount them to the frame and work out exactly where to weld a 3/4 inch "pin" (I used the end of a 5 inch nail) to the underside of the footpeg pivot and you're done.  Simple as that.

Jetting is not something that I can help you with but if you start with stock and go from there you've got to be in the hunt?  A GMC pipe would be a great addition to any race bike and as a bonus is locally sourced so you're dealing with the bloke that makes it and also supporting a fellow VMX'r as well.  Wins all round there.

Now go an cuddle that new baby .. they grow up too fast and before you know it you've missed it.  And try to get some sleep as well  ;D ;D

Thanks Simo, little Ella is now 7 months and nothing but perfect  ;D foot peg solution sounds simple enough there, i would buy an off the shelf "modern style" item but i from what i can see there isn't much option for that. 

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:34:55 pm »
Hmmmmmmmmmm TM 250 some love em some hate em  :o I fall into the latter  ::) lovley looking bike but I have never been able to get one to turn well  ???

The late Andy Caldecott used to fly on his so it ain't the bike  ;D I love my 74 KX 250 though  8)

Babies I like them but couldn't eat a whole one  ;D seriously I have had 4 and they grow up way to soon  ::) although it don't seem like it at 3 oclock in the morning  ;D

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 03:40:26 pm »
Hmmmmmmmmmm TM 250 some love em some hate em  :o I fall into the latter  ::) lovley looking bike but I have never been able to get one to turn well  ???

The late Andy Caldecott used to fly on his so it ain't the bike  ;D I love my 74 KX 250 though  8)

Babies I like them but couldn't eat a whole one  ;D seriously I have had 4 and they grow up way to soon  ::) although it don't seem like it at 3 oclock in the morning  ;D

I'm in neither camp as yet! ;D although i have to agree they're a lovely looking thing the rest will be for me to find out for myself, 74 KX 250's aren't quite in my budget though id certainly never knock one back. I like the idea of the TM for parts availability more than anything, seems a lot of NOS and OEM stuff for them on ebay for next to nix compared to other brands i've dabbled in and a reasonable amount of stuff still able to be obtained over the counter at dealers. Just having a little play i tend to agree with you already that it doesn't seem like an easy bike to turn sharply, I will play around with bar set ups and positioning to see if i can get it any better than it feels now. I dont reckon ya can rate a make or model of bike on how fast Andy Caldecott was on one :o the man could have probably won a desert series on a Z50 if he really tried!!  :D Like i've said before, no amount of bike set up, $$'s or mechanical enhancements will ever substitute for sheer talent and skill!!! ;) Which i have neither...........no where's my wallet and spanners  ???  :D

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 05:43:04 pm »
That's beautiful Brendan. I had a tear in my eye to see your plan come to fruition. Buying a TM Suzuki so you and Bill can be friends. Great work.  :)
Cheers, Grahame
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 05:57:35 pm »
That's beautiful Brendan. I had a tear in my eye to see your plan come to fruition. Buying a TM Suzuki so you and Bill can be friends. Great work.  :)
Cheers, Grahame

:D you're a peanut! Although that's the least of the ribbing I expected from you in relation to my purchase!  ;D

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 06:58:30 pm »
Rm 125   year  92-95... LHs  and RHs foot pegs are the go using 92 springs with pins.
Tm Bill ....for looks  a 74 kx 250 is a head turner for sure, but I get better race results on my Tm 250  ;D   ( I race both )

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 08:07:22 pm »
Rm 125   year  92-95... LHs  and RHs foot pegs are the go using 92 springs with pins.
Tm Bill ....for looks  a 74 kx 250 is a head turner for sure, but I get better race results on my Tm 250  ;D   ( I race both )

That sounds like a goer if I can come across the bits, I have today found these but I'm a bit sceptical of them being a simply bolt on changeover as website says "uses original bushes and springs" but from what I can gather the bike never had springs from the outset??

http://www.vmxunlimited.com/pfr-fat-pegs-tm-rm-to-75-rm-79-86/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:08:54 pm by Rookie#1 »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 09:57:38 pm »
At the risk of talking you out of a set of my wideners there are a lot of RM pegs that will fit the TM.

The TM’s had a unique mounting style that differs from most other brands.
The first RM’s (around 75-77??) had more conventional style mounting brackets but then they went back to the early TM style mount around about 79 and I know they kept this style till at least 86, I guess Oldfart knows they kept them into the 90’s.

The later pegs have a longer bolt that protrudes underneath the peg, a sleeve fits over the bolt and the spring wraps around the sleeve. How it hooks onto the frame I’ve forgotten and that may be the only small hiccup but worth persevering with.

I have seen many argue that they didn’t come with springs originally and that they shouldn’t need to be retrofitted but it’s a total pain to ride a bike with pegs that don’t return. The CanAm that I borrowed for Tallarook had a broken footpeg spring and I spent the whole day trying to push the peg back down. It can screw your confidence on a MX track when you come out of a corner and about to go over a jump only to find when you put your foot back on the peg the peg isn’t there.
Bugger that for joke

Enjoy your youngling, next thing you know their pain in the arse teenagers.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/