Author Topic: painting over powdercoat  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
painting over powdercoat
« on: June 22, 2013, 08:43:28 pm »
I have a powder coated frame in really good nick. The only prob. is, it is the wrong color.
Can you just give it a light sand and spray over it?
cheers    Mark

Offline Bikeaholic

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: painting over powdercoat
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 09:28:32 pm »
It can be done with the right preparation. Instead of sanding try using a medium grade scotch brite pad and you'll find it easier as it won't clog up like wet & dry paper does and you'll be able to access more areas. No dust that way either. The idea is to take the sheen off and give the paint something to adhere too. This is what panel shops do when repairing powdercoated bull bars etc.  You'll get the best results using a 2k paint. Powdercoating can be very difficult to remove.  Also the powdercoater could put another coat of the correct colour on the frame to fix your problem.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 04:33:30 am »
Bikaholic, a powder coated Red frame can just have another layer added to turn it Black ?
What preparation is required ?

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:17:40 am »
Thanks Bikeaholic,
What is 2k paint? 2pac?

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 08:31:38 am »
Yep, I just googled it. 2PAC ::)

Offline Bikeaholic

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:13:24 pm »
Bikaholic, a powder coated Red frame can just have another layer added to turn it Black ?
What preparation is required ?

Correct it can be recoated over the top. With anything that has been handled it will need to be spotless prior to the recoat. I do the sandblasting/sodablasting for a powdercoater in my town and after the items are blasted and in their bare form we use gloves to prevent any contamination of the new surface when handling them. Prepsol is used to remove any greasy marks prior to powdercoating or painting. Just picking up an item with your hand leaves the natural oils from your skin  on the item. For some reason a freshly blasted item attracts people like flys to a bbq. Just as with fresh paint the buggers just have to touch it  ::)