Author Topic: nice honda  (Read 4181 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: nice honda
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 03:39:45 pm »
I'm that stoked in this I'm selling off a couple of my vintage motocrossers and have decided to built up my Trackmaster with the Triumph 650 engine I just got off eBay and the Cates framed Honda 305 twin for me to ride (in pre 65). The big Yamaha is a bit intimidating for a plodder like me but the 650 Triumph will be good for chasing Jimmy around the place while Yamaico Pete and/or Gally are terrorising the front runners on my 750 Yammy . I don't look forward to being blown off the track by Casso or Watto on those top fuel dragsters though.  Race the old with the old and the new with the new.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 04:12:44 pm »
New School or Old School ?
Which Category do you think the RD fits in?
Do you think you can play with Firko on an Old XS Yammy ?
Or me on T500 Twin.
Don't worry we won't see which way the Godden Twin goes,
I doubt we will even see its dust.

Racing is more than just winners and losers. It's all about the competition and spectacle. While I really want to see Watto ride the wheels off the Godden V twin or Caslick do the same on SON's new bike, I want to see the spectacle of close racing. By putting Pete's RD, Jimmy's Yetman Triumph, My Shell or even Jonesy's Nourish Weslake Redline up against modern bikes straight out of AMA Pro racing will create a David and Goliath situation that doesn't translate into a good spectacle. Fans want close racing and to achieve that close racing we need bikes of similar performance competing together. The twins vintage "old school" division is looking to be well supported with all of the bikes fitting into a similar performance bubble. Sure, Pete's little budget 350 might not have the legs of our big twins but his riding ability would bring it in closer at tighter tracks like Nepean....horses for courses. He'll be riding my 750 at some of the events anyway while I ride my Cates Honda or Trackmaster Triumph to make up the numbers. We need to see more big modern (New School) bikes built or imported and top riders put on them to put bikes like the Godden and VT1000 in perspective. I understand that both old and new will probably have to compete together until the numbers in each division are strong enough to stand alone but let's hope that isn't a long process.
Handicap Races,
One night at Newcastle Showground I Handicapped Jack Stephens in the Twins class I can't remember if he won but I do remember him getting a standing ovation from the entire crowd,
I bet if you asked Jack it was one of his best ever races.

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 09:42:16 am »
what you selling firko

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 11:10:06 am »
what you selling firko
I'm not 100% sure yet but my Hindall Ducati garage queen and Boyd and Stellings framed TM400 are almost certainties. Except for the Ducati which looks to be going to a mate, I'll be keeping all of the bikes until after Classic Dirt, and the Classic and DT Nats because I have plans for most of my bikes that involve those events. After that it'll be a big sell up of not only bikes but frames, engines and unfinished or un started projects. It's time to simplify my collection . The Jag might go as well.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 09:36:59 pm »
Which Category do you think the RD fits in?
Do you think you can play with Firko on an Old XS Yammy ?
Or me on T500 Twin.
Don't worry we won't see which way the Godden Twin goes,
I doubt we will even see its dust.

Racing is more than just winners and losers. It's all about the competition and spectacle. While I really want to see Watto ride the wheels off the Godden V twin or Caslick do the same on SON's new bike, I want to see the spectacle of close racing. By putting Pete's RD, Jimmy's Yetman Triumph, My Shell or even Jonesy's Nourish Weslake Redline up against modern bikes straight out of AMA Pro racing will create a David and Goliath situation that doesn't translate into a good spectacle. Fans want close racing and to achieve that close racing we need bikes of similar performance competing together. The twins vintage "old school" division is looking to be well supported with all of the bikes fitting into a similar performance bubble. Sure, Pete's little budget 350 might not have the legs of our big twins but his riding ability would bring it in closer at tighter tracks like Nepean....horses for courses. He'll be riding my 750 at some of the events anyway while I ride my Cates Honda or Trackmaster Triumph to make up the numbers. We need to see more big modern (New School) bikes built or imported and top riders put on them to put bikes like the Godden and VT1000 in perspective. I understand that both old and new will probably have to compete together until the numbers in each division are strong enough to stand alone but let's hope that isn't a long process.
Handicap Races,
One night at Newcastle Showground I Handicapped Jack Stephens in the Twins class I can't remember if he won but I do remember him getting a standing ovation from the entire crowd,
I bet if you asked Jack it was one of his best ever races.
Jack called into work today
I'm sure he will ride the Old School class again,
He reminded me he won that Handicapped race

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 06:14:05 am »
Just talked to Casso
Bike wont be a Raymond Terrace tomorrow
But will be at Nepean next weekend,
Sorry the bike won't be at Nepean today,
Paul's day job of coaching has a client so he will be at the Terrace.