Author Topic: 1977 YZ250D on Swapmeet.  (Read 3005 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
1977 YZ250D on Swapmeet.
« on: June 07, 2013, 11:02:59 am »
This is a great price for a competitive pre 78 ride. This bike's in pretty good nick, the seller's a good reliable bloke and it's in geographically desirable California. Bring those Aussie plastics home ;D.

FOR SALE
Ad # 3217618 June 5, 2013      http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=Vs6JtKY3c1BMTEGq&w=2

1977 YZ250D. I picked this up about five or six years ago because, well, I don't know--I had liked them since a high school buddy got one brand new and was the first to jump (well, clear and land, anyway...) the big ditch outside of town on it. Anyway, I purchased it from the original owner who had raced it for one season and then parked it and didn't ride it for nearly 30 years. College and life stopped his riding but he had always just drug it along with him. The plastics had faded and the seat had a tear or two, and the fork and countershaft seals were leaky, but it was otherwise darn near a perfect example of totally original (OK, the grips were changed and it has that Luft rezzy) YZ250D. I bought NOS Yamaha side panels and rear fender for it, and later picked up one of the perfect Aussie front repop fenders as well. The tank is pretty nice, so I just put some of the tough MXM sheet graphics on it. I have two other tanks for it, which I figured someday to pick one and buff it out. Or just buy a new Clarke repro. I also (as I always do as soon I I pick up a "new" project) accumulated a good sized tote box of new and NOS parts for it. I have NOS fork boots, shifter (those aluminum ones always "knife-edge" with use), airboot, intake, grips, lever, cables, chain guides, etc. for it, as well as new sprockets, air filter, and I'm sure some things I'm forgetting. I even have one NOS fork slider (never have located the other side...). I also have new, Bob Hannah autographed reproduction front number plate for it (one of the perfect Aussie units). I have not run the bike in five years, but it ran perfectly when I got it home after the purchase and put fresh premix in it. Supposed to be on first overbore as he said he freshened it at the end of the season. Felt nice and crisp when I ran it. Rear shock still dampens great, and forks are unpitted. Rims are nice and straight, and spokes are slightly dulled but unrusted.

I have come to the realization I just don't have the time or inclination to tear this bike down (I can't even get to the bikes a really want to get done...), refinish it, and put it back together again. It is yellow, but I prefer the "other" yellow bikes, as most who know me here probably well know by now. That, combined with a Maico 250 Magnum and KX250A4 begging for my attention (along with all those Suzukis) just put it to far back behind the back burner as a project. It's taking up space and if there's a Yamaha guy out there who wants one of these iconic bikes, I figure I may as well let someone else do it. It would be a very simple resto project as it's all there and I already have located pretty much everything to do the job. Still needs the fork and countershaft seals done, as I figured there was no use in me doing them just to have them sit and start leaking again...

Looking for $1500 for everything. Pretty good deal if you add it all up. Oh, I still have all the old plastic I took off of it somewhere and the new owner can have that, too, so he can preserve the good stuff if he wants to ride it.

Doug Childress
Caruthers, CA
Email

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Simo63

Re: 1977 YZ250D on Swapmeet.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 11:15:26 am »
Sent you a PM Firko

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 12:23:26 pm »
That's a bargin.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 01:40:53 pm »
The seller's been emailed.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Simo63

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:05:18 pm »
The seller's been emailed.

And he has emailed me back. Thanks Mark  8)