Author Topic: Home forming Poly Prop  (Read 1335 times)

Offline farmer58za

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Home forming Poly Prop
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:50:51 am »
Hi All
I needed to make an inner mudguard for a bike I'm restoring, but didn't want to cut up a decent plastic mudguard to make it. I took a piece of flat poly propylene sheet and balanced it on a steel mudguard of similar shape inside an oven at 160 deg C for 15 min. The Poly Prop gets clear as it approaches melting and then flops down to take the form of the steel mudguard. There will be a few ripples at the edges that you can push flat as you remove it from the oven. Spray n' Cook on the steel mudguard keeps things from bonding.
In a few minutes the Poly Prop hardens and turns white again.

http://s215.photobucket.com/user/farmer58za/media/IMG_0107_zpsf64e36a2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s215.photobucket.com/user/farmer58za/media/IMG_0108_zps4ff237db.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Neat hey?

Regards
David

Dave's not here man

Montynut

Re: Home forming Poly Prop
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 07:15:01 am »
Great post.

Really love the rest of your bikes. Montesas MMmmmmmmmmm ;D

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 09:16:48 am »
That's a great idea.I could make a mudguard and the wife bake a cake,all at the same time!!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 09:52:24 am »
Jeez you've got some tasty stuff David. Did Flowerpot Ben supply the glass for your Petite Metisse? Have you found the missing bits yet?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline farmer58za

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 02:16:25 pm »
Ha!
I knew buying that large oven would reap benefits one day. The trick with using facilities in someone else's "cave" is to keep it clean!
I cleaned all the chain spooge off the steel mudguard before it went in the oven. The spray and cook was the worst smell...

Firko, that Metisse glass came with the bike. Only missing one side cover. The motor has proved elusive, so far. I have come across a Bul 4 spd centre port kart motor that may just do the trick.

Unfortunately, the two Photobucket Huskies and Hercules aren't mine......

Regards
David
Dave's not here man

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:42:35 pm »
I have made myself a vacuum forming box for making airboxs etc have made a mould for the airbox I was doing using car bog but I just need to get some thing to heat the plastic up enough I will make something I think I have plenty of burners from stoves in the shed I can make my own oven.

Plan to make a chain guard mould aswell as I have some nice ones to copy pretty easy to do really you have rekindled my interest my vacuum forming box has a frame I clamp the plastic to and then that fits over and sits flush on the peg board. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's