Author Topic: 1984 RM 125 - Kill Switch trouble.  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Bruno1969

• Novice
    • View Profile
1984 RM 125 - Kill Switch trouble.
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:50:01 pm »
Hi guys,

Need some help here as I am completely clueless with lektrix and looking at a wiring diagram confuses me more than normal.

Just how the hell do you wire up a kill swirth and what type do you need to get? If I look at the Coil I see the HT lead going out to the Plug, one wire in which comes from the stator and then a shorter wire (maybe a few inches long) which terminates with a spade conenction.

Now its easy enough to wire in a simple on off switch into the wire that runs up from the stator but surely thats not the best way to do it?  I also see that there are two or three differant types of kill switches available? Do they work the same way and what one should I get?

After the throttle jammed (twice actually) last time out, i figured its time I fit one. Dont really fancy holding the clutch in on a screaming 125 and getting zapped by the ht lead.

???

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 1984 RM 125 - Kill Switch trouble.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 12:10:41 am »
most kill switches dump to earth when you press the button,1 wire for solid mount bars then 2 wire for the latter rubber mounted bars to complete the circuit to earth.the black with yellow stripe wire coming out of the cdi box is the hot wire for your kill switch weather its a 1 or 2 wire switch,the earth on a 2 wire k/switch is black and should be a black earth wire coming from the cdi box to plug into or just attatch it to the frame where the coil bolts on,simple

Offline Bruno1969

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:00:23 pm »
Thanks Matt! That helps more than a bit. As I have non rubber mounted bars I figure I can connect the one wire to the bars?

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 06:58:13 pm »
maybe one wire if the bars are chrome plated but if there painted go for a separate earth back to the frame like the coil mounts ;)