Author Topic: 1976 or 1977 XT or TT roller  (Read 827 times)

Simo63

1976 or 1977 XT or TT roller
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:20:13 pm »
I've decided to build a pre 78 XT/TT500 race bike for this years Nats and use one of the spare 500 motors I have lying around so I'm looking for a 1976 or 1977 XT or TT rolling chassis.

As it will be a race bike, no road gear is required however a fairly complete roller would be nice.  I have the motor and even a spare standard tank .. just need the rest.

Anything considered please  ;D

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 1976 or 1977 XT or TT roller
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 10:50:11 pm »
if its going to be a race bike wouldn't you just want a frame and wheels and use yz250/400 triples/forks and put a klx or pe swinger in with some decent shocks as stock suspension wont cut it,not then and surely not now.the klx swinger has the bottom shock mounts in the same place as the 500 one just slightly longer,even the chain guard nearly lines up with slight spacing with washers only needed and the same with the rear wheel.ive made wheel in adapters to suit the different swingarm bolt diameters that are for sale.pm me for moe information

Simo63

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 11:38:43 pm »
if its going to be a race bike wouldn't you just want a frame and wheels and use yz250/400 triples/forks and put a klx or pe swinger in with some decent shocks as stock suspension wont cut it,not then and surely not now.the klx swinger has the bottom shock mounts in the same place as the 500 one just slightly longer,even the chain guard nearly lines up with slight spacing with washers only needed and the same with the rear wheel.ive made wheel in adapters to suit the different swingarm bolt diameters that are for sale.pm me for moe information

Thanks for the (only) rreply Matt

That's sort of what I've got now but it has evo forks and square alloy PE rear swing arm and wheel setup in a HL tribute bike (I won't use the word replica as it uses the TT frame).  Without destroying that bike as I like riding it, I wanted to use the motor to build a bike strictly pre 78 legal .... I have PE front forks but I don't think they aren't pre 78 legal and I would be happy to use a stock swingarm with upgraded shocks (to a maximum of 9 inches).  I would of thought the KLX alloy swingarm would not be pre 78 legal?

Anyway, I can look for a YZ D front end and run that and then just run a set of marzocci's on the stock XT/TT frame I guess.  Not too concerned about being a race winning bike because it doesn;t matter how good it is, I'll be slowing it down  ;D

Happy to hear more of your thoughts if you have the time.

Cheers
Craig

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 07:31:28 am »
i have a complete dirt track roller staracer including pipe just bolt motor in make up inlet adapter c/port needed. and go racing glass is in good condition including lined tank for methenol or petrol.$1500.00 ono
jim

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 07:35:55 am »
Hey Jim if Simo is not interested I would be very keen in the staracer
I've sent you a pm.

Cheers
Shaun
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:42:35 am by 2-NINE-7 »

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 04:30:31 pm »
ok now I know your building a pre 78 racer heres what I would do if it was mine.id copy the last of the xr600's steering geometomy which would involve a derake as well which would allow for a longer swinger from a rm250/370b to keep it class legal and still keep the std wheelbase.Walter from yss should be able to help you with shock lengths and spring rates.the tank could be from a yz125d/e/f only needing new mounts welded on the frame and forks yz250/400d.wheels well tt/yz/it front to match the forks or more abit more breaking a xt wheel and the back wheel well match it too the swingarm your using with slight adjustments on spacers for chain alignment.