Author Topic: Tie downs  (Read 2243 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
Tie downs
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:44:05 pm »
G'day viewers does anybody use the tie downs that go over your front wheel with a metal frame if so what are they worth and how good are they the local bike shop wants $130 for one I thought they would be good as my front guard is held on with a alloy bracket so you can't support the forks from under the guard thanks.jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Tie downs
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:55:57 pm »
Dunno where you are Jimson, but Ballards list them at $109.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:00:37 pm »
Thanks GD66 that sounds better but have you tried them do they work  :-\ ? jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:36:50 pm »
 I don't own any, but they'd have to work well. And word is, those chrome tube cradles for the front wheel that you tech screw into your ute/trailer are the duck's guts as well. Either way, it's way better than caning your front fork seals to and from the meeting. Looking at the metal-frame tiedowns, surely you could knock one up.... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 06:13:01 am »
Hi,
Friend of mine uses them they work great . I have been talking about getting some myself, it takes the pressure off your fork seals. We took the bikes all the way from Tassie to Coffs last year using the wheel tie downs didnt come loose all the way.

Cheers
Fatboy

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:37:51 am »
the transport guys pull down on the front axles.  fuc me how it works but they haul hardleys and big sports bikes with just a strap over the front axles...............  looks great, still cant understand it though, surely it must tip over...but it dont.   Never blow a fork seal again. ;)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 05:42:24 pm »
Pls excuse a momentary hijack here...hey Ross, what coating is on the exhaust of the yellow beastie?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 06:17:52 pm »
I ask coz I'm getting rust and I heard Doctor Karl rave about the wonders of fish oil on metal parts.
Rub back to bare metal and apply a generous amount of fish oil.
It can't hurt to try unless someone has had a bad experience?

and now back to the tie downs :-*...
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"