Author Topic: Are Yamaha ignition parts interchangeable between models?  (Read 3494 times)

Offline mudguard

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Are Yamaha ignition parts interchangeable between models?
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:25:21 am »
Is there any info available to advise if the same ignition part is interchangeable between Yamaha models and cc sizes? Eg, CDI unit, Coil, Low or High Speed Coil for the stator.  I have a 1983 YZ125K and instead of just specifically looking for 83 YZ125 parts, I might have a better chance of getting the identical part advertised for another model or size? Eg, 1980 to 84 YZ 80,125 or 250cc, IT 175 or 250cc, DT 175,200 etc.
Are electrical systems different, in levels of current ( amps ), volts and resistances ( ohms ) for different models or engine sizes?
Just looking to expand my options if it is possible.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Are Yamaha ignition parts interchangeable between models?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 06:00:43 pm »
Hi Mudguard.
I have a YZ125K and am doing a rebuild.  As an option can i suggest looking at the PVL digital system.  Completely replaces the whole YZ electrical system.  I have a website for the K and you can get more info there.

www.yz125k.weebly.com

Cheers,
Alex

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 12:45:24 pm »
Is there any info available to advise if the same ignition part is interchangeable between Yamaha models and cc sizes? Eg, CDI unit, Coil, Low or High Speed Coil for the stator.  I have a 1983 YZ125K and instead of just specifically looking for 83 YZ125 parts, I might have a better chance of getting the identical part advertised for another model or size? Eg, 1980 to 84 YZ 80,125 or 250cc, IT 175 or 250cc, DT 175,200 etc.
Are electrical systems different, in levels of current ( amps ), volts and resistances ( ohms ) for different models or engine sizes?
Just looking to expand my options if it is possible.
If the ignition is a internal rotor with 2 grey coils and 2 mounting holes on the backing plate(12 and 6 o'clock) the stators are pretty much the same only the position of the keyway and magnets in the rotor are different. Forget PVL shitters the YZ80J(most early yamaha ignitions) is as good as you get for a engine up to 125cc. I have a big bag of these ignitions at home if you want any or the whole bag flick me a PM
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:42:43 pm »
I only use the PVL on my yamaha's no point in forking around with the silver magic boxes, and the wires are all 40 years old. 
For the $350 PVL you wont get a better simpler solution. 
All Yamaha mx pre 76 stuff seem to fit everything so just shove something together and see if it runs !!
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 05:31:21 pm »
Problem is Freaky  you don't always get the correct stator to give the engine the correct amount to of advance/retard. For instance a 490 had a 5000 wind stator you never going to rev the engine hard enough to take any advantage of what that ignition offers. The 4000 wind is the same even for a 250. You either have them happy in the low end mid range with the over rev limited or they are doughy in the mid range and have good over rev not both.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline mudguard

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:42:13 pm »
Thanks for the info Alex, Lozza & Freaky. I'm a bit confused which way to go, new PVL or OEM parts. Wanting to build a complete spare motor with parts I have plus require some parts to complete, hence question about ignition system.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.