Author Topic: Stunningly stupid tips.  (Read 8106 times)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Stunningly stupid tips.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 09:59:33 am »
dont worry about useing a tension wrench  :o just tighten up the nut until it strips then back it off half a turn ;)

Offline marsman

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 12:27:18 pm »
Remember the pit nazi's of the 70's: Plug your handlebars kid; why? ; cause it does much less damage to the other guys intestines :o.
You can only have metal valve caps on your tubes ; why?; cause the plastic ones are a fire hazard ::);
You must have a split pin on your axel nuts: why?; cause we would much rather you gouge a leg , face our other appendage of yourself and other riders than see you lose your nuts and have your axel  just "fall" out without you knowing it!!...P.S. we do accept a safety pin instead of a split pin though :-\
And the daddy of them all... You must have square number plates ;why?;cause the lap scorers cant read round ones!!!....... must have better lap scorer's these days ... or are we just slow enough that they can read them now? ;D
"I know I was fast once ; but I just can't remember when"

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 12:35:21 pm »
Remember the pit nazi's of the 70's: Plug your handlebars kid; why? ; cause it does much less damage to the other guys intestines .
You can only have metal valve caps on your tubes ; why?; cause the plastic ones are a fire hazard ;
You must have a split pin on your axel nuts: why?; cause we would much rather you gouge a leg , face our other appendage of yourself and other riders than see you lose your nuts and have your axel  just "fall" out without you knowing it!!...P.S. we do accept a safety pin instead of a split pin though
And the daddy of them all... You must have square number plates ;why?;cause the lap scorers cant read round ones!!!....... must have better lap scorer's these days ... or are we just slow enough that they can read them now

The tragic thing is that all of that stuff was absolutely true ::). I recall being busted for having plastic valve caps on my fork aircap schrader valves. He told me to take them off before he'd pass the bike, without any caps at all. I had one of my then infamous dummy spits with that prick that day let me tell ya ::)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 12:45:43 pm »
I got busted because the original 3 holes in the front sprocket cover on my TM125L, you could just get your little finger in, I had to get washers braized over them.  I hope I don't become a stupid old fool.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 01:03:06 pm »
During our teenage, a riding friend of mine decided to add powdered graphite to the oil tank on his Suzuki TC100 to improve the lubricating properties of the oil.
It took quite a while and a lot of sparkplugs to get rid of the last bit of graphite out of the system once he solved the problem that developed.
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline Graham

• A-Grade
  • Fast TT meets Drunks Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 02:51:53 pm »
Great bit of advise by a loonitic,once told me the best way to run your new rebored engine in was to pour some brasso in the spark plug hole an rev the shit out of it.  Yeah right thats going to work
Gosh its a shame a slow 4 stroke trail bike can go so Fast !!

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 02:55:03 pm »
During our teenage, a riding friend of mine decided to add powdered graphite to the oil tank on his Suzuki TC100 to improve the lubricating properties of the oil.
It took quite a while and a lot of sparkplugs to get rid of the last bit of graphite out of the system once he solved the problem that developed.

One of my mates who was proud of his mechanical knowledge put a hotter plug in his TS100 so it would go faster.   He pulled up later that day with a holed piston.  He also supervised the tying down of the bikes on the trailer as he came from a trucking family.  It was his TS that fell on my TT500 scratching my mint tank.  I supervised the tying down for the trip home.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 04:34:50 pm »
Remember the pit nazi's of the 70's

OH how about the leather pants only as the Nylon pants are not FLAMEPROOF Approved

Sold a whole heap without the label what a shitfight   >:(

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:48:45 pm by VMX60 »

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 08:07:14 pm »
Nylon pants and shirts were banned because they were a fire hazard.......I haven't seen a fire at a motocross anywhere in the world ever,not to say it couldn't happen, but I would like to be an insurer taking dollars against it .
The same stewards let them put hay bales on the turns......fire hazard...what fire hazard????

Offline marsman

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 08:29:10 pm »
Anyone remember that stuff called finnelec :-[... instant puncture sealer and inflator all in one (thaks Mr. Bultaco ;)) ... what they didnt tell you was it was only good for a small "normal"punctures.
I found out the hard way ; when the sheer unbridaled power of my SL125 tore the valve stem from the tube (who ever thought of a rim lock ) , no amount of finne..f@#$k&% lec will patch it .... instead you just watch the foam gooo.... ooz from every spoke (and valve) hole covering your entire rear wheel . IT NEVER CAME OFF EITHER!  :'(
"I know I was fast once ; but I just can't remember when"

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 08:41:10 pm »
Anyone remember the "Trail & Track tricks" in the Trail & Track magazine?  There were some classics in amongst them....
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 09:11:30 pm »
Anyone remember the "Trail & Track tricks" in the Trail & Track magazine?  There were some classics in amongst them....

yeah and some damn dorky stupid ones too.

like the following

:- making your own fork gators from old inner tube and hose clamps
:- making your own lower fork protectors with hot wheels track
:- add 50 more below  ::)

Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 09:22:32 pm »
I was one of the first rider/owners of the new generation Husaberg's in early 2000 where at the first race of the Victorian Regional championships my new FC501/4 was knocked back at scrutineering due to the pointed rear guard. The thinking from the steward was that it was dangerous to other riders. It took some convincing where I missed practice and almost the first race trying to get it across that if it was o/k for the world motocross circus it should be o/k for a C grade Victorian regional event.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 09:55:22 pm »
Finnilec... The enduro riders spare tube... NOT. Saw a guy cartwheel his yz down a nasty hill at the Alpine enduro years ago... a crumpled mess (including the rider) ended up at the bottom where he extricated himself from the bike... he looked like something from the "Hobbit!" His  Finilec can, taped to the crossbrace  had exploded covering him and the bike with a "fungus"  :o hilarious :D :D, it was stuck to his nose and shoulders and helmet. the bike looked shocking with gravel stuck all over it. never liked it, never used after that episode. :D