Author Topic: kx80a2 engine  (Read 594 times)

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
kx80a2 engine
« on: April 13, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
Guys,
does anyone have any leads on a good useable barrel and crank for a 1980 KX80A2?
I am having a devil of a time finding a replacement con rod kit and the barrel is the electrofusion type which after 32 years is past its use by date (more than 50% of the plating is gone) I would be interested in a barrel with a liner fitted.

I cant seem to find any bits listed on the aftermarket catalogues for the 1980 KX, heaps for 1981 onwards but nothing for the 79-80 models.

I may be keen to fit a later model aircooled engine from a 1981 - 82 KX80 but I do not know if they are a straight swap, does anyone have any knowledge to share on this subject?

If I cannot get this bike going I would be open to offers of a trade for another mini that is more parts to find friendly if there is anyone really keen on a KX.
Apart from the engine the rest of the bike is excellent, NOS plastic, new genuine cables and small accessories etc. Good clean complete bike that is super rare or so it seems. Primarily, I would love to get it going, but if this proves too much expense for me I would have to move it on.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: kx80a2 engine
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 02:04:27 PM »
Rocket, a guy from around here used a later model rod kit by getting the crank pin holes bored to take the bigger diameter pin. Hope this helps.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)