Author Topic: fork tube option  (Read 1300 times)

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
fork tube option
« on: March 30, 2013, 03:06:22 PM »
do you guys think that seamless stainless steal tube would be suitable to use as fork tubes

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: fork tube option
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:33:19 AM »
I would have thought not. If it were any good, then the manufacturers would be using it.
What grade of stainless were you thinking of ?
Just remember that fork tubes do flex slightly in use. Stainless has a habit of slowly work hardening if treated this way. This will then make them brittle and possibly prone to breakage.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 04:54:53 PM »
 That's what I was thinking.
pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline brucey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 05:55:39 PM »
If the stainless steel low chromium was cold drawn and had an elongation of some 6 to 10 percent max it would not be a problem

the standard you are looking for is BS6323 Part 6 but it cannot be in the annealed condition grade 410 and 431 would be my pick.

Some of the new grades of duplex and super duplex stainless steels are right up there but its just so expensive,  i can tell you what grade etc and the standards but you cannot buy it in small enough quantities in the condition you need unless we buy a mill run Ha Ha  ;D

Yes stay away from 316 303 etc as the high chromium is an issue for fatigue cracking

buy the way hydraulic drawn tubing is to soft think plasticine  :o

Good luck with it mate Bruce

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 09:19:51 PM »
i was going to use exhaust stainless steel seamless tube..it has a 2mm wall thickness. an exhaust vibrates alot so i was thinking that it might hold up and have been a good match for fork tubes. i was going to use it on a mini/pit bike so no jumps or race condition
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:56:09 AM by k2000x »