Author Topic: RM125B completed and ridden  (Read 6713 times)

Montynut

Re: RM125B completed and ridden
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 12:10:02 pm »
Still got the Monties. I had a Monty 125 in early 77 and it was a complete heap of sh%t so bought the 125B.

Actually my first MXer back in the day was CR250M followed by RM370A then the Monties started but always had an RM125 or KX125 during that time great bikes.

Presently have an RM125N/T almost ready for the track as well ;) :D

Pauls AW440 is tempting so I hope he sells that real quick  ;D

Yes have a YZ250 modern to train on and just sold my TY250 so Yammies are OK. I have my '84 KTM on the market and may look at a YZ250L to replace it 8)

Scottie reminded me that I holeshoted a race at Conowindra last year on a borrowed YZ400B (thanks Ricki) and it was quick but still liked the VB360 more ;))

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 12:27:14 pm »
There was a time when I was all Maicos, six or seven of 'em lined up in neat chronological order and the same number again for parts and/or future restoration sitting in the back shed. Then I wanted something for the 4 stroke class so with Maico not making a 4t I built my Champion framed XL350. Then came the need for a pre 70 250 class bike and a challenge to build a DT1 racer from my friend Geoff Eldridge and before I knew it I'd discovered that variety was fun and all sorts of bikes came and went from Casa del Firko, that philosophy remaining to this day. I still love my Maicos and in fact have just added two more to the collection but now I've even got a Triumph ready to go onto the production line......Variety is the spice of life 8).   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:28:56 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

maico police

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 01:24:52 pm »
My 414's having a re-birth next year (with some very special shocks). Yamahas were my bikes throughout the nineties and naughties so it makes sense to have some around the place.

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 07:00:17 pm »
love that rear brake pedal  bill ,how do i get one

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 10:08:26 am »
YSS shocks, PD valves and fork springs.

What Pre 78 bike did you source the PD valves from Greg?
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Montynut

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 12:40:42 pm »
YSS shocks, PD valves and fork springs.

What Pre 78 bike did you source the PD valves from Greg?
What do you mean off what bike?? Fork internals are free Ted same as engine internals.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 02:21:12 pm »
Cool that internals are free as i have just fitted TTX OHLINS PRESSURISED CARTRIDGES to my B forks. I'd like to run the pre-load adjustable OHLINS fork caps too, seeing as they are attached to the internals do you think they will be OK or do i have to make up a dummy cap so they look like B caps?

Montynut

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »
Cool that internals are free as i have just fitted TTX OHLINS PRESSURISED CARTRIDGES to my B forks. I'd like to run the pre-load adjustable OHLINS fork caps too, seeing as they are attached to the internals do you think they will be OK or do i have to make up a dummy cap so they look like B caps?
Sorry I was going to say use your common sense but I forgot this is Ted typing. What part of INTERNALS did you miss ::) ::)

I am not exactly sure what you are getting at but I'm sure you have a point. I thought you would be busy getting Stat Dec's ::)

There are a large percentage of bikes in every era with those types of suspension items included what are you getting at

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 07:51:13 pm »
Excuse my ignorance of all things Pre 78 as I thought all components had to be manufactured Pre 78. That was why I was curious about what PD valves were available. However after reading the MOMS ( all disciplines and classic dirt sections) I found  absolutely no reference is made to front suspension ( internally or externally ) apart from wheel travel. Rear shocks have to mount up the same, exhaust has to follow original lines and gearbox and motor externally unchanged but not one thing about front suspension.

My question is do the forks have to be Pre 78 or can you use 2013 Showa units fitted with the latest Ohlins gas pressurized cartridges and external preload adjustable fork caps limited to 9 inches travel as you can legally use any 2013 piggyback rear shocks with infinite compression and rebound adjustments on the market as quite a few people are doing as long as the mounting points are the same?

Not being a smartarse Greg but with 10,000 pages pertaining to the validity of a piece of alloy manufactured 2 years before the cutoff date holding the back wheel on a bike I believe these rules are a joke. The only thing that comes close to this in the grey area stakes is workcover regulations on a building site. I would of thought Pre 78 meant Pre 78. Apparently not.

Cheers, see ya next week...I'll bring them forks with me.

Montynut

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 08:42:55 pm »
Ted the forks have to be Pre78 the same as the frame, engine, wheels, brakes, swingarm etc although the internals of the forks are free to do as you like. The same as the engine, if you can somehow fit a 2013 RM 125 engine inside the cases of an RM125B without changing the external appearance go for your life, granted a little difficult with the water cooling. If you can fit the internals of 50mm forks into the RM125B forks without altering there external appearance go for it as well. The rules are reasonably clear in that area the same as your alloy swingarm really. After market adjustable shocks were available in 1977 and the RM125B had remote reservior shocks standard.

The RM125B parts book was printed originally in 1976 but no one said the swingarm was built then but that is not the issue and never has been. The contested point is that the rules say the entrant must be able to prove eligibility. There in lies the problem with the swingarm to date no one has been able to or confident enough to front up with one fitted with the 'proof' it is eligible in case someone protests or the scrutineers rejected the bike. I think it is legal but I am not going to go to the trouble as I don't have one and don't intend getting one.

I put together the case for the VB series Montesa and also the '78 VB as a carry over model and submitted it to MA and it was accepted about 3-4 years ago. The system works.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:44:41 pm by Montynut »

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 09:04:21 pm »
Ok. The next word you hear from me on this arm saga is either yay or nay. I am over it as I am sure you are.
Lets go riding