Author Topic: Body Armour.Whats the go ?  (Read 1644 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Body Armour.Whats the go ?
« on: March 17, 2013, 08:32:22 pm »
Its time for new riding gear , I got the boots,helmet,gloves,goggles and already have enough new period pants and jerseys to hold a yard sale just need armour and socks. Any recommendations?Under over jersey ?

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Body Armour.Whats the go ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:38:15 pm »
MM - there are another couple of threads on just this on the site - but anyway - I have a 661 pressure suit - excellent bit of kit.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:11:24 pm »
Pressure suits can be worn over a tee shirt on a hot day. Nice and breezy but still protected! I have an Alpine Star suit designed for a neck brace - best I have used so far.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 08:49:06 am »
I was using an AXO suit that was $30 at a swap meet that has seved me well.
This year I purchased a FOX suit.
It fits great but the  plastic shoulder pads do not cover the shoulder completely and have a square block moulded on them.
I had a good get off and the block seems to have grabbed and rotated the cup into my upper arm causing some good bruising.
I would go for something with a large rounded shoulder protector.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:28:07 am »
661 pressure suit saved my life tried while out trail riding to impale myself on a large fallen tree which hit me dead centre of my chest breaking my sternum and three ribs the 661 suit has a full breast plate if I had one of the suits that zipped up the middle I would not be here today according to the doctors in the emergency so I would recommend one to anyone.
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 11:49:53 am »
I'm a big fan of the pressure suits. I have an old Dianese, but it has the soft chest padding. I would go the 661 or one that has the hard chest protector as Mavman says.  There are some cheap ones on ebay etc.  My brother bought one of the cheap BBR I think it is, they usded to advetise in ADB.  Doesn't fit as nice as my Dianese, but about one third the price.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 12:22:07 pm »
I've had a Dainese (too hot), old style over-armour and a 661 Turtle suit.

I was fairly happy with the turtle suit until I forgot it and went trail-riding without any armour - I hated the lack of protection, but the increased mobility and decreased heat makes the probability of crashing that much lower (yes, seriously). And its a bit crap with the Leatt brace, despite supposedly being designed to work with it.

I've gone back to the old armour but feel a bit unprotected, particularly on my lower spine. Plus I f%^king hate seperate elbow guards.

My current thought is to use the turtle suit for MX and colder-weather trail-rides, and only use the over-armour for warmer trail-rides/enduros. It's kind of the opposite to what most people do, but it seems like the right answer to me.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:23:42 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 10:49:53 am »
I've got an AXO Aircage.....never worn this kind of protection before, thinking that it'd be too hot and uncomfortable. I'll use it for the first time at the Bonanza so I'll know pretty soon.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 02:56:40 pm »
I used to use the AXO Pentagon (External) armour back in the 90s. You could add bits & chop & change the style of armour you were using.Proobably one of the few things I replaced with the same product when it was time to replace. Wish someone made something similar nowdays.