Author Topic: Bike Tie Down Alternatives  (Read 1040 times)

Simo63

Bike Tie Down Alternatives
« on: March 12, 2013, 12:19:04 pm »
So my caravan come race transporter is nearing completion and I'm at the stage where I need to incorporate internal tie down systems for the 3 bikes I will be able to carry.

I don't want to use traditional tie downs so was considering those metal brackets that go over approx 1/3rd of the wheel and ratchet to the floor.  However I was wondering what others might be using and/or have found to be either good or bad.

Any feedback appreciated folks  :)

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bike Tie Down Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:51:40 pm »
1/2 chain works well ;D

telecom rope can tie anything down ;)

but the over wheel tie downs work a treat.

cheers Worms

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 06:34:37 pm »
If they are for the XR don't bother, just drag it behing your truck :o..Just joking buddy. Hey send me your postal address and I will send you that XR manual on disc
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 08:21:58 pm »
I used the road bike version of these when I was road racing and never had any issues.

http://www.kyaracing.com.au/

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:31:43 pm »
Due to the lower mounting to the bike, the wheel clamp type can increase the load on your tie-down points, no problem unless they are bolted to a rusty floor.

When I was 14 I made up a frame that came up each side of my bike when it was in Mum's box trailer, I'd just use leather belt straps to the frame each side so I wouldn't have to have the springs compressed.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:37:38 pm »
The best one I've seen where the bike is secure without putting downward pressure on the forks/seals was a bar that ran across from one side of the trailer to the other at a height that allowed it to pass between the top of the front wheel and the front guard. The bar then rested square against the fork tubes (had marine carpet on it.) Then there was a clamp that attached and was tightened to the bar from the backside of the fork tube...following me? No pulling down with pressure on seals or bottom of trailer, no front wheel jumping around or turning sideways. Might have to make different size ones if bikes not all same size though.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 11:56:19 pm »
page 52 of latest catndog.
http://www.ballards.cc/latest-catalogue
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:03:11 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!