Author Topic: Alvin Lee dead.  (Read 1525 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Alvin Lee dead.
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:43:05 PM »

Legendary guitarist Alvin Lee from the sixties band Ten Years After died yesterday aged 68 from complications after minor surgery. Anyone of my generation who wasn't moved by TYA's amazing performance in the Woodstock movie doing their classic show ender' "I'm Goin' Home'' has no pulse. To me Lee was right up there with Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher and Frank Marino (Canadian band Mahogony Rush) as one of the flashest, fastest guitarists ever. I saw Alvin in his later band..Ten Years Later in the late 70's in California and I still get goosbumps thinking of it. He was not only a fast and furious ard rock guitarist, his blues licks were equally as fine. He'll be sadly missed by many a baby boomer rock guitar fan.
                                                           http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/entertainment&id=9019377
                                                               http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW5M5xljdCI
                                                               http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPAWYrWcw3E
                                                                Above Ten Years Later doing the TYA blues classic.. Help Me.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Alvin Lee dead.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:50:43 PM »
Agreed on all fronts Firko .  Lost one fantastic musician.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »
bummer,i'm gunna play cricklewood green 1st thing in the morning,salute
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »
1st time i saw the Woodstock concert on TV i'd never heard of Alvin Lee, when they finished playing Going Home and the anouncer called them "Ten Years After" i though Alvin Lee was Steve Howe from Yes. He was a brilliant guitarist, i read that at Woodstock Lee didn't want to be upstaged by Santana or Hendrix so he gave it everything...

and please add Roy Buchanan to the 'up there with Alvin' list  8)

Offline gwc162

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • WayCool VMX Racing
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:42:36 PM »
One of my favorite bands Alvin was king vale Alvin Lee.
Suzuki RM250d, PE 250 c, WRf250, Multistrada 1000s
Heaven #162

Offline ozktm151

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
Tis sad news Firko. Definitely one the great British blues explosion guitarist. Check out the live at Fillmore east album to get a real feel of a TYA concert. Didn't know he played slide as well until I heard this.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 10:23:45 PM »
Tis sad news Firko. Definitely one the great British blues explosion guitarist. Check out the live at Fillmore east album to get a real feel of a TYA concert. Didn't know he played slide as well until I heard this.
                   Or this great double set...                  
To get the feel of what Ten Years After were really about you have to hear a live album. Having said that Cricklewood Green is a hell of a studio album. How about another You tube clip to show just how dynamic a blues guitarist Alvin was..........Here's some 'Slow Blues in C' from Live at the Marquee? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn6fZzWrzCE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:39:22 PM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha