Author Topic: " The Thing ", Pre65 project.  (Read 6619 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: " The Thing ", Pre65 project.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 08:12:21 pm »
no steve it wasent thats just for storage not workshop its way too far from the house its in the back 40 as my mate tells me.
send my your shed i have pleanty of room for it if its got 50sqmts area dont need council approval i can have 2 of them got to like those rural land rules

Curly3

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 08:15:46 pm »
Stop showing off Jim, 100m from the house sounds perfect to me, I'd never go home.

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 04:16:23 pm »
"The Thing" is FAMOUS !!...........I remember The Kessings used to talk about it.........Steve, GET IT HAPPENING.......It's AUSSIE Dirt Track History !! The Hintons lived in the next street to me at Belfield........Old Harry would fix my Dad's lawnmower ( remember the Ogden mower )
We had the fastest mower in Bellies !! ;D
Brian Duffy repaired my BSA Bantam frame after I broke it.........Too much AIR over Fishers Leap at Moorebank !!
What great memories !! 8)
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Curly3

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 08:24:25 pm »
Word is that in its day it was a potent bit of gear, Les rode it more than anyone and said that its BSA clutch and Curly's reluctance to change it was its big downfall.
Les wanted dad to fit a Speedway ESO three springer but the old bloke thought at the time that anything from behind the curtain was shit, go figure?
I'm pretty sure Billy Mac would have ridden it at some stage which makes its history even richer.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 06:30:28 am »
its not that easy to fit a speedway clutch to a std bsa box. i have the same problem.saying that i had a bsa box/clutch on my road racing bsa jap in the 80s and it didnt slip once and stayed on the shaft with out shearing the woodruff key.its in the prep so my brother tells me(jap454)
jim

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 09:39:56 am »
 Hey Jim
, my B33 clutch couldn't stay on the taper, but just recently someone on here said 'just fit a main shaft from a Gold Flash  which will take a Norton clutch" Wish I new that back in the day.

By the way Foss you didn't put ol Ted Carey on the list, the worlds leader in cam design before his time.
cheers.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 09:43:22 am »
Or.....if you want to race an old bike without the problems old British clutches gave, fit an NEB or late speedway type unit and transfer your worries to another part of the bike ;D.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 11:20:52 am »
the shaft you need to do this is from a 1or 2 year only twin plunger bsa rocking horse sh to get at a decent price

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 01:15:37 pm »
Yeah, I know I missed a few of the old engineers, Wally, but I was just thinking on me feet !! Clem Daniels was another

Righto, Beezer and Triumph taper fit clutches, the late Max Evans of Caringbah Motorcycles put me onto this trick in the '60s, worked for me every time.
Clean the clutch hub and shaft then lap the hub to the shaft with grinding paste until it's a perfect fit, clean paste off.
THEN apply a thin smear of new paste to the shaft, fit hub and rotate 1 turn , take hub off shaft, clean out keyways, fit key and, leaving thin smear of paste on shaft, fit hub , give hub a smart smack on with a brass drift and hammer, fit nut and tighten, Bloody things didn't move after that
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 08:08:35 pm »
" Apply a thin smear on the shaft, fit, then rotate " :o :) ;D ;)
Did you ever ghost write for Penthouse Foss?