Author Topic: Coffs Harbour dirt track  (Read 4442 times)

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
Coffs Harbour dirt track
« on: March 01, 2013, 01:13:21 pm »
Does anyone race or are involved with the dirt track at Coffs harbour? Might be moving down that way and just wanted to get a feel for it. Plan on running a pre 75 and a modern and a junior. Means I will be leaving my beloved Action Park but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Coffs Harbour dirt track
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:56:48 pm »
Hey Steve, Yeh I am involved in the Coffs club and race fairly often (not enough). Great bunch of people currently running the club, very motivated with regular rec days and club days and a couple of big MX open meetings. Your Astro would fit right in with the Can Ams, Elsinores, RM's etc we get to our DT club days, usually get a full grid of Pre85 and older if we combine the few girls racing.
 Sounds like we need some shed time if your in the area seeing how we have the same passion for VMX and Dirt track racing. I have been involved in the Coffs club since the construction of the dirt track and I'll race anything I can if I get the chance. We have plenty of old bikes and Vintage interest in the area, the club has ran regular Vintage meetings in the resent past.
 Action Park looks superb and I would imagine it would be difficult to leave, the Coffs DT had just settled into a good consistent loose granite surface late last year but would be all washed away again now. If you like the oiled tracks Kempsey and Taree are just down the Pacific hwy. If you check my posts you'll find some utube clips of the track and the Club website is www.chmcc.com.au.

Are you the same Steve that was buying my 19" dirt track wheel? I think the Steve I was talking to was from the Nepean?
83 KX500, 83 RM250D, Can Am MX2.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:04:05 pm »
Cheers FireKwaka, I was looking at youtube last night for any Coffs evidence. Looks like I'll have to really close up the inside line and expect a shunt haha. Definitely will look you up if the move goes ahead.

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 04:00:45 pm »
I'm hoping for Vintage DT meetings at Coffs........as a '70s Dirt Tracker, Coffs did not exist..........now my Son, Daughter in Law and 3 Grand Children life at Boambee, so I will front on my SC 500 ( it should be ready to race by the end of April ) 8)
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline Hardex

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 06:52:02 pm »
Gee Firekwaka you make Coffs sound so good. I live in the most livable city in Australia apparently ,Geelong.Are there any jobs up that way ?

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:35:44 pm »
Here's a Coffs vid from 2008 showing Beau Beaton and his XT500 opening a can of whoop-ass in the pre 85 open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwFhow6zpyw

Curly3

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:23:17 pm »
Now that track looks awesome, more like the old short circuit days.
They should put their hands up for a title meeting or 2, half way up the east coast.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:10:59 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline hagon_84

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 10:09:15 pm »
nice track coffs the right hander could be a bit longer not so sharp but good track 1st meet is this month weather depending keen to take me slider for a spin round there now she finished.
1977 Hagon rm250b, 1977 yz400d, 1972 gauzonni rm125, 1969 greeves griffon 250, 1973 greeves griffon qub 380, hagon eso 500.

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:31:52 pm »
Hey Doc, the front wheel should be a give away that Beau is on a XL, we call it the "Burmonster" the owner and myself strung that bike together in 2 very late night sessions to have it ready for the classic titles (support class) in Coffs 2000, it cost him all of $1500 and Beau still brings it out to play, he prefers riding the XL to a modern.

I went to a club meeting tonight and the club is keen to hold another Vintage DT title meeting in 2014 if I can pull together a sub committee by July when the submission needs to be in. Would need some expertise  to pull it off if anyone is interested. The club also mentioned they now have private insurance and we could have a rec day to get together for a practice if we like. My preference would be Post Classic with classic support classes run on a Saturday and under lights if we get enough entries to warrant the expense. Would need to stir up the pre 90 guys to have a go, if they're not to scared to hold the throttle open a bit longer then when doing mx ;)

A good thing with the Coffs track is it is basically in the middle of town 5 minutes in each direction to either Coffs or Sawtell. Hot showers, camping, beach, accommodation, restaurants, all good.

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 10:44:20 pm »
oops..was a few years ago FireKwaka..my bad :D I think I was in too much shock at him (Beau) smoking that KX500 and only saw the blur as he went past :o

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 06:50:31 am »
Shhh, that's me getting smoked :D

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 09:30:01 am »
 Hey Slides, I thought I was watching Nepean 30 or so years ago!
 cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 08:35:31 pm »
MX and DT Rec day 17th March.
First round of a 5 round DT club championship Sunday 24th March, sign on by 8.30am.
Pre 85, Over 35's, all the usual modern junior and senior.