Author Topic: Mono shock upgrade YZ125d  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mono shock upgrade YZ125d
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 08:44:43 pm »
One very important thing with suspension is it has to be right for you. Sure you can buy a cheaper shock online but if it ain't right you have to pay someone to make it right for you. If you get Teknik to do your shock and you are not happy ( too stiff, not stiff enough etc ) you simply take it back and Nick will adjust free of charge...I'm pretty sure Wasp would offer the same service. All you have to do is be totally honest with what you want to use it for and your riding ability. They will do the rest
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 08:48:54 pm »
One very important thing with suspension is it has to be right for you. Sure you can buy a cheaper shock online but if it ain't right you have to pay someone to make it right for you. If you get Teknik to do your shock and you are not happy ( too stiff, not stiff enough etc ) you simply take it back and Nick will adjust free of charge...I'm pretty sure Wasp would offer the same service. All you have to do is be totally honest with what you want to use it for and your riding ability. They will do the rest

I will make time to go see them tomorrow
I am only at Windsor so it is not far
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:50:48 pm by TFR »
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 10:18:09 pm »
The best money you can spend one your VMX hobby after fixing the bike up to start with is on good suspension and good tyres. They will have a much bigger affect on your enjoyment and performance than JT riding gear ;) ;D Sorry Ted couldn't help myself.

You can improve your suspension along the lines that Viper666 describes and the improvement is worthwhile. I just feel that instead of going along that path and then later upgrading the internals it is better to do the upgrade straight up. It tramsforms the suspension from 30yrs old suspenders that are well used even if freshened up into something that is as close to 'modern' performance as possible. It does cost a bit of money but most people head down that path eventually anyway.

PD valves in front forks with new linear springs to suite your weight.
Valve upgrade (gold valve type of gear can be fitted to YZ-D or so I've been told) for rear mono shock with new bump stop and spring

One of the Heaven Pre78 riders could not believe the transformation those upgrades made to his YZ400D and was looking forward to doing the same to his YZ125D

Yes you have to look at cost versus benifit but doing it right the first time saves money in the long run and increases the enjoyment of the ride regardless of what position you finish. Just my thoughts

You could always help the poor guy out Underbidder by " fixing his bike up to start with " with your Montessa race spec.

Faaark. Faaark ,  Shitbox Montessa,  Faaark,  push, push, pant, Faaark, pant, pant." Someone around here got a Jap bike they can lend me? " Faaaark, Faaark. " Get that camera outta my face." .Pant pant Faaark

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 04:22:44 pm »
You could always help the poor guy out Underbidder by " fixing his bike up to start with " with your Montessa race spec.
Faaark. Faaark ,  Shitbox Montessa,  Faaark,  push, push, pant, Faaark, pant, pant." Someone around here got a Jap bike they can lend me? " Faaaark, Faaark. " Get that camera outta my face." .Pant pant Faaark
[/quote]

:o WHAT THE?

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 06:03:27 pm »
Private joke....Don't panic fella

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552