Author Topic: Restoration for a newby  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
Restoration for a newby
« on: January 19, 2013, 05:26:47 pm »
I was working on my CR250RE today and took the back end off to do all the linkages. I got so carried away with how easy it was to work on the bike with my new workbench/platform that I just kept going and I now have a bare frame! :-\

I've gone this far so I might as well have the frame painted. I have never restored a bike except for a home job on a YZ250C when I was 17. I've seen all these beautiful restoration jobs on here and at the tracks over the last couple of years so I thought this would be the place to ask about the best way to go about it.

What should I be looking for with blasting the frame? Is it actually, sand blasting, bead blasting, some other type of blasting which is the best process? Can anyone recommend a guy in Sydney?

What is the best method of painting the frame? Is powdercoat the way to go or are their good DIY solutions?

Any tips would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:26:21 pm by KJ222 »
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration for a newby
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:46:54 pm »
 Kenneth Most if not all info you are requesting has been mulled over here on the quadgrog  (forum). Cursor up to button above marked search and type in say "powdercoat" it may suggest the thread your after. Cheers      but don't hold me to that... ;) Tim754

PS it can take a little time for the results to pop up on your screen also you may have to open "advanced search" and try.

PPS why did ya take your fine new workbench back to a bare frame?????
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:54:49 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:36:55 pm »
I start by looking at every peice of the bike and making some big lists.

Make a list of every single peice that is to be powedercoated (or painted, i prefer powercoat)
every peice thats going to be polished.
everything thats going to need zinc plating.

a list of parts that need replacing, generally bearings etc. splitting the cases for a full engine rebuild?

things you re going to need to buy, new seat cover, hand grips, any levers or chain guides sprockets etc.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:58:46 pm »
What I like to do is have a go at everything myself you find some guys will restore a bike but there skill set may not include one part of the bike the only way to get better is to try I was worried about lacing and truing wheels but I have done it now and did not find it to hard.

If you are looking for a perfect finish though you get an expert but if you want to save money or learn new things you have to try everything your self.

I have stuffed things up but you can always redo them it is not the end of the world there is nothing like riding a bike out the shed where you have done everything to it and you are happy with it.

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 08:35:02 am »
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Tim I did the search and came up with some good info thanks. I think I am going to do this in stages. It is a race bike not a show bike and I want to get it together quickly so I can ride it.

I'll do the frame first, get it back together and then gradually go through the bike in stages. It will take longer I know but doing it in stages will save me rushing it and it will spread the cost out.

I am half thinking of doing the frame black, not in the Flash Red. Would that be so wrong?

Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 08:42:03 am »
its up to you i have one and mines red , black would be different and black would be easier to paint than red is

Offline Ando

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 08:49:57 am »
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Tim I did the search and came up with some good info thanks. I think I am going to do this in stages. It is a race bike not a show bike and I want to get it together quickly so I can ride it.

I'll do the frame first, get it back together and then gradually go through the bike in stages. It will take longer I know but doing it in stages will save me rushing it and it will spread the cost out.

I am half thinking of doing the frame black, not in the Flash Red. Would that be so wrong?

Kenneth! What are you thinking?? Black frame on a red bike  :-\ each too there own I guess  :)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:56:28 am by Ando »

Offline PCMAX

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 09:23:44 am »
Ken, Mr Kleen at Padstow will blast & powdercoat the frame for $180 cash. They can usually do it within a week. They do any Dulux Automotive paint colour. The closest colour to original Honda (Tahitian) red is Dulux Signal Red.

If you're up Newcastle way Cliff Sutherland (Heaven #13) hs a powdercoationg business also. I'm sure he'll look after you.

*Caution you will need to blank off the steering stem holes, I use a couple of metal plates that fit neatly onto the bearing races (just inside the stem) and hold them in place with a threaded bar. The only other thing you will need to do is chase all of the threads with a tap after painting to clean out the paint.

Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:35:26 am by PCMAX »
74 MX250A, 75 CR250, 82 CR125, 82 YZ250J, 84 XR250,