Author Topic: Rickman Metisse CZ project  (Read 37829 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rickman Metisse CZ project
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2012, 09:46:27 pm »
brad
i belive you had a czxl350 it was sold on again. i am told the young bloke who rides it is very fast on it so if you come to canberra for the dirt track nats you will be lining up next to it i am sure.
jim

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2012, 10:15:57 pm »
Would an xl250 or 350 fit in one of those frames?
Also two Zundapp have just poped up on Ebay in Victoria with the larger twin rail cradle for the 4 stroke projects

I'm confident that an XL would fit in the Rickman Zundapp frame but for a couple of points that I'm not sure about. Being a twin downtube frame and the Honda engine being side port the possibility of exhaust clearance could raise it's ugly head. The other point alludes to Murrays statement about the later frame with the larger cradle being a better bet for the 4 stroke.....The Honda XL250/350 has a deep sump that sometimes makes using this motor for engine swaps a bit tricky. Because of the sump I suspect that some of the bottom rail tubing may have to be removed on that particular frame. I'm using the '73 model 1" tubing frame that doesn't have that extra tubing in the bottom rails and I think the Honda would fit in there like a cock in a sock, ditto the earlier 7/8" tubing frames like Jonesy used for Ugly Betty his Honda SL125 powered Rickman. I bought a single downtube Rickman Montesa frame from the USA with the notion of fitting an XL motor and quickly discovered that I had Buckleys chance of fitting it in because of the sump. Surprisingly, the Rickman Montesa 250 frame has a smaller cradle than that of the little 125 Zundapp version.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2012, 10:37:53 pm »
mark i have the right motor for the early rickman montesas
came with my cappra.the p o is doing the same thing but he started his in june last year.
jim

albrid-3

« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2012, 11:49:37 pm »
Jim, that young man and his Dad racing the cz/honda are friends of my, spoke with them tonight, he is very quick and doing well on it, that bike I bought off Brad 090 couple of years ago, and sold it on, and its well sorted out now.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2012, 07:25:40 am »
i know dave my brother is the starter at the track and i spoke to wayne last week
jim

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2012, 01:09:06 pm »
After all this time the CZ lives

Lucky to find all the bits it been so long over the W/end it fired up sounds sweet

Unhappy with the paint maybe later on order a set of glass from Ben in the UK

Still a bit to do  its a runner  That will make me do the rest as a club bike should be good talking point

Cheers

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:14:54 pm by VMX60 »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2012, 01:27:45 pm »
Great job Murray. It really does look like a factory job. The only thing I reckon it needs is a proper Rickman front 'guard, high or low it doesn't matter. It sure looks a lot better than what you started with ;).

I really must get into my little Micro/Cooper project once the current bikes are done, I love these little frames. I guess it'd be sensible to build it along side my Petite Mk3 Maico project and debut them together.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2012, 02:56:25 pm »
nice Murray.  The zundapp motor is being rebuilt over the summer.  How did you go airbox wise did you make one to fit.  Ben has sorced a seat for me and having it recovered in UK before sending over.  The petcock (metric/AF)?  Want to have mine running this year and hopefully run it at the NATS in Canberra.  Once again brilliant work mate

Barry
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2012, 03:08:45 pm »
Firko/  Tossa

This project started as a build from what was in the shed the std high guard in the 1st Photos back on page 2 I have, but I have this thing about Alloy and the low guard was in stock and keep looking at those Alloy side cover pairs on UK Ebay

Only parts brought

Tank from Tossa
Rickman seat
Top trees USA Ebay
Rear Phantom brake shoes and springs
Ack CZ intake

Not a bad list to get this up and running looking Factory  ;)

Also this is a race bike after one lap they all look the same covered in mud   ;D

Cheers

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2012, 03:39:43 pm »
Tossa

Fuel tap on the Rickman tank was std pommy BSP Gas thread should be easy to buy

The airbox started as the Montesa glass copy so just cut and made to fit the Mikuni 34mm outlet then fitted a K+N filter

Who did you find to repair the Zundapp motor

Cheers

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2012, 09:14:03 pm »
Paul Gibbs, we've got one and half motors to work with
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2012, 10:41:32 pm »
The things you find in the your man cave

Looking for a sprocket cover to suit the CZ project and what do I find a F/glass WA made back in the 70s trick at that time cover

This might be the sole survivor   :D

Cheers

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2012, 11:10:51 pm »

I'm confident that an XL would fit in the Rickman Zundapp frame but for a couple of points that I'm not sure about. Being a twin downtube frame and the Honda engine being side port the possibility of exhaust clearance could raise it's ugly head. The other point alludes to Murrays statement about the later frame with the larger cradle being a better bet for the 4 stroke.....The Honda XL250/350 has a deep sump that sometimes makes using this motor for engine swaps a bit tricky. Because of the sump I suspect that some of the bottom rail tubing may have to be removed on that particular frame. I'm using the '73 model 1" tubing frame that doesn't have that extra tubing in the bottom rails and I think the Honda would fit in there like a cock in a sock, ditto the earlier 7/8" tubing frames like Jonesy used for Ugly Betty his Honda SL125 powered Rickman. I bought a single downtube Rickman Montesa frame from the USA with the notion of fitting an XL motor and quickly discovered that I had Buckleys chance of fitting it in because of the sump. Surprisingly, the Rickman Montesa 250 frame has a smaller cradle than that of the little 125 Zundapp version.
[/quote]

I think it was at the Earls Court Motorshow (my Dad went years ago) that Rickmans has on the stand a frame with an XL Motor in it.  Honda went mad and refused to supply them with motors as it was better than there own offering I presume.  Dad has pics somewhere and occassionally on ebay you see magazine articles about the bike.  Not sure which motor they put in it.  I will ask the oracle (Dad!)